Chapter 6.1 Hot under the collar

Sarah felt like a princess in a fairy story. Paolo wanted her to look beautiful. He had treated her to the dress she was wearing to the party. He had insisted.

Sarah now stood in front of the full-length mirror in the room and inspected her reflection.

"Ito ba ang nagagawa ng mamahaling mga damit?" she asked herself.

The rich green colored long dress looked as stunning on her as it had when she had first tried it on. Better, in fact, because she was wearing make-up and green metallic high heeled shoes. She looked very elegant. 

She had never been so coordinated in her life. She had never even thought about being so coordinated. She hadn't dreamed of owing clothes like these.

She twisted so that she could have a view of the back, which plunged almost down to the waist. Although the front was deceptively modest, with soft small folds camouflaging the fact that she was braless.

She would make everyone's head spin, Paolo had assured her before he had gone to meet all the assorted friends and relatives who were arriving in batches. 

She had avoided telling him about his brother's kind offer to buy her off.

She sighed and continued to stand where she was. Reluctant to go outside but knowing that she couldn't remain poised in the bedroom for much longer.

It was already seven thirty and the party had officially begun half an hour ago. She had telephoned Manila and spoken to Gabby. Not even the sound of his voice could still the tense, furious knot in the pit of her stomach.

Matteo would only be in the Mansion for one more day. He would be leaving the following afternoon. It would be easy to keep out of his way until then because the house was not full of guests staying overnight. Most would leave the next day.

The day's so-called sightseeing trip seemed to be on a circular tape in her head. Replaying endlessly. Always concluding with his insulting bribe to get her out of his brother's life. 

Slapping him had achieved nothing, apart from granting her a temporary sense of satisfaction.

~ Flashback ~

"You are excused once for doing that," Matteo had ignited, catching the offending hand in a strong hold and pulling her towards him. "Once and no more. And if I were you, I would give my proposition a great deal of thought because, trust me, you will either leave with money in your pocket or you will leave with nothing. But you'll leave."

They had completed the drive back to the mansion in silence. For most of the trip, Sarah sat pressed against the door, staring out of the window. There seemed little point in trying to convince him that he was wrong about her.

~ End of flashback ~