Chapter 3 Battle round 1.0

Sarah was not brought up surrounded by riches. Nevertheless, she always thought of herself as something of a fighter. 

She lived with her mother in a rented house and had no contact with her father. She had been devastated when her dearly loved mother had gotten ill. 

She had no other family on whom to fall back. No handy network of caring relatives who could rush to her desperate call when she needed them.

Until it was time to let go. She had been seriously wounded by the lost of her mother six years ago. 

Her mother had been a warm and loving person. Losing her and moving on had been a difficult experience.

Sarah found the courage again to be happy when Papa God gave Gabby to her. She had brought up Gabby on her own. She had gone through the entire nurturing and caring without the support of anyone. 

The only three weapons she has had been her decision to raise the baby into the world, her heart to give him all the love she was capable of giving, and her prayers.

To have Matteo insinuate that she was running scared was like surrendering her battle in life.

~*~*~*~

Paolo, as she expected, was soundly asleep when she quietly entered the bedroom to get her hat and her book. 

She decided against breaking into his deep sleep for the second time to tell him where she was going. Instead, she headed back out towards the pool. 

Just as Matteo had predicted, no one was up yet at this time. 

She found him already in the pool. She watched him for a few minutes, fascinated by the movement of muscles. Then she slowly walked towards one of the sun loungers.

She tried to take in the breathtaking view. But time and again, she found herself staring at the body sweeping through the water. 

Finally, she stuck her hat on and relaxed back, linking her fingers lightly together.

This time she was aware of his approach even though her eyes were closed. She heard him come out from the pool and then the slap of his feet as he dragged a chair over to her and sat down.

"I didn't think that you would take up my invitation to join me," Matteo said. 

He was looking down at her and noticed pale skin where her top ended and her jeans began. Her breasts were two average mountains pushing the thin cotton of her T-shirt.

"Bakit naman hindi? At saka tama ka. Gusto ni Paolo na maging magkaibigan tayo o kahit na magkasundo man lang."

Women did not usually view him as an object of dislike with whom effort was needed to be friendly but he let it go.