Chapter 8.3 Add insult to injury

"You told me you took Bachelor of Fine Arts up to second year college. This can't be yours." He removed the underwater scene and looked at it with interest before holding it up for her to see.

"Sa anak ko."

"Mayroon kang anak. Hindi kay .....?

"Hindi, hindi kay Paolo."

Matteo felt the flame of curiosity beat through him. He carefully stick the picture back on to the fridge and then turned to her. "Puwedeng umupo?"

"Gabi na."

"Have you broken off the engagement? No, of course you haven't. The ring's still on your finger." His dark eyes hardened. "You may think I'm playing games with you, but let me assure you that I'm not."

"Hindi ko hahayaan manggulo ka sa sarili kong pamamahay," Sarah told him, folding her arms protectively over her. Papa God, she felt so nervous and so intimidated.

Seeing Matteo in her house, in the flesh, made her realize just how much he had been in her head.

It reminded her how good it had felt when he had kissed her, taken her in his arms, run his hands along her curves.

Sarah closed her eyes briefly and then looked at him. "Madaling magising si Gabby. Ayokong makipag-argumento sa iyo dito. Manipis lang ang pader ng bahay."

"Ah. Gabby. I thought so."

"Anong ibig mong sabihin? Ano bang iniisip mo?"

"Ang sulat kamay sa piraso ng papel sa refrigerator. Pinag-aaralan niya kung paano isulat ang kanyang pangalan. Ilang taon na siya?"

"Lima."

"Anong itsura niya?"

"Bakit ka interesado?"

"I'm curious. Bakit hindi mo siya nabanggit noon? Sa aming mga magulang? Sa aming mga kamag-anak? You had every opportunity." His eyes narrowed on her flushed face.

"Naisip ko hindi iyon ang tamang panahon .....?"

"Give me a clue as to what you think the right time would have been? Maybe sitting in a restaurant somewhere? My mother asking whether you had any little kiddies? A natural question any future mother-in-law would ask to her son's fiancée?"

"Hindi ka nakakatawa!"

"Maybe you decided that you could win Paolo over to playing daddy to your little boy but breaking the news to the rest of us would be more mounting task. Is that it?"

"Nahuhulaan ko na kung ano ang sasabihin mo. At hindi 'yan totoo!" Her small hands were clustered into fists.

"It makes sense!" Matteo shouted. He slammed his fist down on the table with such strength that Sarah jumped. "I wondered about you! You didn't seem like a money minder gold digger, but then I wasn't in possession of all the facts at the time, was I? Magkano ang kinikita mo?"

"Magkano ang aking kinikita? That's none of your business!"

"Sapat upang suportahan ang iyong sarili, I presume! With a little left over para sa mga maliliit na luho! Pero ang anak? Sapat na upang suportahan pati na rin ang isang bata? I may not have children, but I know they are a product that doesn't come cheap. Is that why you decided that having a little financial help in that direction might be a good idea? And Paolo would have been an easy target, not the sort of man to be put off by a child in the background. Did you string him along with some sob story? Make him feel sorry for you?"

"Ang mga bata ay hindi produkto!"

"Nasaan ang ama ng bata?" Hindi ba sapat ang tulong pinansyal na binibigay niya?!"

"Tama na!" Sarah shouted. "Ang lakas ng loob mong pumasok sa bahay ko and sigawan ako. Ininsulto mo ako sa Cebu, dahil nasa iyong teritoryo ako, pero huwag kang manggahas na pumunta sa teritoryo ko at sa tingin mong maaari mong ipagpatuloy ang panlalait mo!"

Sarah stared at him with anger and in the still silence it took a few seconds to register that he was no longer looking at her but beyond her, towards the bedroom door.

She slowly turned round to find her son standing there, staring at them with confusion and fear.

*************************************************************************

I know it's a very short chapter. I am struggling for the story to make sense. Please bear with me for now.

Thank you so much for the past votes and comments. Love, love, love <3

SARAH GERONIMO: FROM THE TOP
DECEMBER 4 & 5, 8PM
AT THE ARANETA COLISEUM

CALL TICKETNET NOW, AT 911-5555

TICKET PRICES:
VIP - P4770
PATRON - P4770
BOX PREMIUM - P3710
BOX REGULAR - P3180
UPPER BOX B - P1590

FOR INQUIRIES, YOU MAY ALSO CALL VIVA CONCERTS AT 687-5853 LOC 656 OR 687-7236

BUY YOUR TICKETS NOW
!