Chapter 2.1 Powers that be

Supper was served in the dining room, which had been built for entertaining. 

Matteo made sure that he takes a chair directly facing Sarah. A position from which he could make his presence felt without being obvious about it.

By the time the liqueurs had arrived, some of the guests had drifted off to bed, including their mother. Matteo banged his spoon on the table and waited until all heads had swiveled in his direction.

He noticed Sarah was more cautious than expectant. 

Was she wondering what he was going to say?

Her eyes were certainly watchful. Beautiful eyes she had too. Eyes designed to trap a man, or at least a man who had no great experience of the opposite sex.

He raised his glass directly at her and loudly said, "To the beautiful Sarah Geronimo on her engagement to my brother!" 

There was a roar of agreement and then he added softly, looking directly at her, "Speedy though that engagement might be....."

Sarah met his eyes and shivered. His fair, handsome face looked almost devilish, but she raised her glass anyway, tilting her chin defiantly at him.

"Bakit mag-aaksaya ng oras kahit alam ng dalawang tao kung ano ang gusto nila?" she returned carelessly.

With everyone else chatting loudly the conversation made her feel as though they were talking somewhere very intimate and very much alone. She resisted the uneasy feeling inside her and shot him a wide, bland smile.

Matteo simply raised his glass to her in a silent toast and gulped down a mouthful. Staring at her over the rim of the glass until her nerves got the better of her. 

She broke the eye contact and desperately searching out Paolo, who was unaware to what was happening. Paolo was busily telling one of the uncles about his latest venture into night life.

Sarah coughed very loudly to get his attention. When she finally did she was very much relieved to see him immediately and unsteadily get to his feet and loudly bid good night to everyone at the table.

He held his hand out for her and she practically rushed to take it, making sure not to actually meet Matteo's darkly disturbing gaze as she hurried out of the room.

She only breathed a sigh of relief when they were in their bedroom and the door was firmly locked behind them.

"So, what do you think of my family?" Paolo asked.

"Napaka.....saya." She smiled back at him and went over to the dressing table where she began untying her long hair, running her fingers through the braid to separate the strands.

"Ang iyong Mama ay kahanga-hanga, napakabait. Hindi ako sigurado kung ano ang aking inaasahan. Ang ina ay maaaring maging isang mapang-angkin pagdating sa kanilang mga anak na lalaki." Their eyes met in the mirror and he smiled at her.

"Ah, ngunit hindi ako ang unang ipinanganak, thanks Heavens. The heaviest expectations are on Kuya Matteo's shoulders. Not that he doesn't live up to them."

"Magagawa mo rin, Paolo."

"Parang hindi."

The smile dropped for a minute but then he relaxed and moved behind her, massaging her shoulders until some of the tension eased away from her.

She swung around to face him and pulled him down so that he was kneeling in front of her.

"Mukhang hindi ako gusto ng Kuya mo." Sarah said bluntly. "Napansin mo ba? Pakiramdam ko nakatingin lang siya sa akin, talagang nakatitig lang siya sa akin. Nang ang lahat ng tao sa mesa at inalok niya na mag-inuman para sa ating engagement, yumuko siya patungo sa akin kahit ang ibang tao ay patuloy sa pakikipag-usap and said something about it being a very speedy engagement."

"Huwag kang mag-alala tungkol kay Kuya," Paolo said reassuringly. "He's just an older brother. He's always been like that. Hindi kami pumasok sa parehong paaralan. Pumunta siya sa US upang mag-aral, but I can remember him coming back for holidays and he would always be there, at my school gates, making sure that everything was all right." 

A smile of affection lit up Paolo's handsome face. "He knew about me being bullied, you see. I didn't want my mother involved, but Kuya wasn't standing for any of it. Kailangan lamang niyang magpakita ng dalawang beses, at hindi na kailanman nangyari muli ang pang-aapi. Ganyan siya, Sarah. Palaging nandiyan para sa pamilya."

"Oo, pero ....."

"Pero wala. Huwag kang mag-alala." He stroked her arm fondly. "He will be able to see that we are very happy in each other's company and that will be enough."

~*~*~*~

Sarah wasn't too sure. Two hours later her mind was still worryingly focused on Matteo, on that sexy face staring at her, considering her, trying to get inside her head.

In the darkness she could see Paolo's chest gently rising and falling. Paolo would never see the darkness behind the light. He was just that sort of person, but she could see it. 

Matteo Guidicelli troubled her. 

There was a silent watchfulness about him that had made the hairs on the back of her neck stand on end. Even now, in the sanctuary of their room, she could still feel that shiver of apprehension just thinking about him.

***********************************************************************

There's the second chapter. Hope you like it. If not, please tell me so or gently let me know.

Thank you so much for the past votes and comments. 

Love, love, love <3