Chapter 13 First love

At noon on Monday, they flew back to Manila.

The flight to Manila was conducted in a tense silence. Matteo and Sarah had said very little since their conversation after the party.

When Matteo was trying to guide her to his car, Sarah heaved a deep breath and faced him. "Sir, I've decided I can't continue working with you."

He frowned "What? But....."

"Don't worry," she cut in. "Hindi kita sisingilin ng pera o anumang bagay."

"Why are you refusing me to pay you after everything you've worked hard for?"

She held her luggage tightly to keep her hands from shaking. "Basta hindi ko matatanggap," she said.

He shook his head as though she wasn't making sense. "Sarah, I don't see....."

"Hindi mahalaga kung nakikita mo o hindi," she interrupted. "Hindi kaya ng konsiyensya ko tumanggap ng anumang tulong mula sa iyo." Sarah swallowed a sob. "Uuwi ako ng mag-isa. Pakiusap huwag mo na akong ihatid," she said firmly.

Sarah turned and walked away, hoping.....hopeful she would never see Matteo Guidicelli again.

~*~*~*~

Sarah took the towel that was wrapped around her hair and shook it free. She then leaned across to get the hairbrush inside her bedside cabinet.

Her eyes fell on the framed photograph of her parents that she had kept inside the drawer since her mother died. Her lips curved into a sad smile.

It had been taken on their wedding day. Sarah's mother was looking up at her husband with adoring eyes. Delfin Geronimo was looking directly at the camera, a look of pride on his handsome features.

The photograph had always sat next to her mother's bed. Even though they had been separated, her mother had never stopped loving him.

"Sarah, hindi siya isang masamang tao," she had told her daughter the night before her operation. "Alam ko sa kanyang sariling paraan mahal niya pa rin tayo. Kaya lamang hindi niya tayo kayang mahalin ng sapat."

For a moment, Sarah closed her eyes, remembering those words with the same pangs of utter sadness she had felt back then when they had been spoken.

"Hindi sapat ang pagmamahal niya sa atin upang madaig ang katigasan ng kanyang ulo at aminin ang kanyang pagkakamali. Hindi sapat ang pagmamahal niya sa atin para maglaan ng oras sa kanyang pamilya sa kabila ng maraming ginagawa sa trabaho. Ito ang sumira sa pagsasama naming mag-asawa, ang paghihiwalay ng ating pamilya. Walang ibang lalaki, walang ibang babae. Sarah, ang pag-ibig ay gaya ng isang bulaklak. Kung hindi ito aalagaan at didiligan, ito ay malalanta at mamamatay."