Chapter 7.1 Naked truth

"Mukha kang pagod." Matteo noticed that she was making sure to keep a distance between them. As much as possible without touching the wall next to her.

"Oo. Buong araw."

He let a few seconds of silence stretch past. "I suppose you're referring to our little sightseeing trip kaninang umaga?"

Sarah couldn't be bothered to respond to the tease. 

While she had been at the party she felt happy and anxious. The alcohol had given her a flushed, excited feeling that kept her going through the difficult task of mixing and mingling with Paolo's relatives. People she had never met before in her life.

"I hope you understand why I have obvious concerns about you, Sarah."

"Ayoko nang pag-usapan pa ang tungkol dito. Pagod ako. Gusto ko nang makapagpalit ng damit at matulog sa kama."

Matteo felt his hair rise at the uninterested sound in her voice. His time in the mansion was virtually up and he had achieved nothing when it came to protecting his brother's millions. She had not even risen to the tempting bait of being paid off.

And here she was, dismissing him.

"Won't Paolo be disappointed to find his woman sleeping when he gets in from the party?"

"Sa tingin ko hindi." Sarah spotted her door with some relief. 

"Hindi ko naitanong," Matteo said casually. "Do you and my brother live together?"

That could account for the way they carelessly seemed to take one another for granted. It would also account for the ease with which she had rejected his financial bait to separate herself from Paolo. 

Paolo was unmoved by money. His house would be nice. He liked beautiful things. 

Matteo could have kicked himself for never having taken the time out to go and see for himself how his brother lived. It had always been convenient to have Paolo travel to Makati and Singapore to see him.

That way, he had never had the need to interrupt his working life too much. 

As it was, he could only imagine the luxury in which Sarah was living.

"Hindi, hindi kami nagsasama sa iisang bahay. Okay, well, maraming salamat sa paghatid mo sa akin, kahit naman na alam kong makakarating akong ligtas ng mag-isa lang." She stood with her back to the door and delivered a bright smile.

With a movement so accomplished that Sarah was unaware of it being done, Matteo reached behind and pushed open the bedroom door. He insinuated himself inside the room before she had time to open her mouth in protest.