Chapter 14.2 Love to bits

Sarah heard the bell ringing

Sarah heard the bell ringing. She was wondering whether to open it or wait for the housekeeper. Eventually, she climbed down the beautiful winding staircase.

She pulled open the door and blinked.

"Ikaw. Anong ginagawa mo dito?" Sarah asked. She gazed at the man calmly staring back down at her.

The months since she had seen him had etched lines of strain into his face.

There were dark circles around his eyes.

"Nagpunta ako sa bahay mo. Imagine my surprise when I discovered na hindi ka na nakatira doon."

"Bakit? Bakit ka nandito? Paano mo ako nahanap?" With every syllable, her panicked voice raised one notch higher.

"Aling tanong ang gusto mong unahin kong sagutin? I'll start with the easy one, shall I?" Haggard eyes swept over her face.

Matteo moved away from the door.

"Sinabi sa akin ni Paolo na pinatawad mo na ang iyong ama. You have also moved to live with him."

She did not know why she felt embarrassed. Maybe it was that rant at the party in Singapore at Matteo's defense of her father. She did not know what to say.

"Paolo went to see me. He had been trying to get through to me, pero hindi ko sinasagot ang mga tawag niya. In the end, he decided to fly to Italy and talk to me face to face. Why didn't you tell me?"

"Sabihin ang ano?"

"Why did you let me think....." He tore his eyes away from her and walked back and forth, and then he stops in front of her. His expression was intensely vulnerable.

Sarah just watched and waited.

When he next spoke, his voice was controlled and steady but it was costing him effort. "I've been to hell and back these past months....."

"Ano ba talaga ang gusto mong sabihin?" she asked.

"Just thinking about Paolo, thinking that I might never see you again, but he would, filled me with anger. And, yes, jealousy."