Chapter 1.2 Break through

Food and drinks were being served in the back garden. Matteo entered the sitting area. Several of the guests were outside having their drinks, seduced by the romance of the scenery.

Karamihan sa mga bisita ay darating bukas, ngunit sa unang gabi, mga malalapit na miyembro lamang ng pamilya. Ang kanyang ama at ina, pati na rin mga uncles at aunties, pinsan, pamangking, at si Paolo at ang babae.

Matteo was still thinking the course of action following the revealing of this gold-digger in their midst. He strolled up to where his mother was quietly contemplating the venue she had masterfully set.

Mrs. Guidicelli turned to her eldest son and smiled. 

"Darating ang pinsan mong si Gerald at Maja bukas. Kasama ang kanilang  anak." Mrs. Guidicelli turned to him and gave him a long, serious look. His mother is the only human being on the face of the earth who could look at him like that and get away with it.

Everybody in the clan knows that Maja and Matteo had a relationship. They separated after two years of being a couple due to some undisclosed circumstances. 

"It could have been you," she pointed out. "You are not a young boy any longer. Kailangan ng pamilyang ito ng tagapagmana, Matteo."

"And they will be produced," Matteo whispered, "all in good time."

"Darating si Jessy Mendiola," Mrs. Guidicelli ventured. "Bagay kayong dalawa. Best friend ko ang mommy niya noong college. We still keep in touch up to now."

"Mendiola.....yes the name rings a bell. Jessy, pretty name, and I have to admit that three months of celibacy is beginning to get to me." He grinned as his mother blushed furiously at his outrageously personal observation. 

"There is no rush for me to get married, is there? With Paolo having won the race to secure a bride....."

"Now, Matteo....."

"I am merely making an observation, dearest Mama....."

"In a tone of voice which I am not sure I like. I have met the young woman and she seems perfectly friendly, if a little dazed at the surroundings."

I'll just bet, Matteo thought to himself. The dazedness, he reckoned, would last just about as long as it took her to add up the millions looming just over the horizon.

"Nasaan na ba sila?" He asked casually.

"Mayamaya ay bababa na rin 'yon," Mrs. Guidicelli said. "At Matteo.....be good."