Chapter 5

The soft snow crunched under Kay's tough boots as he trudged through the white forrest. The wind blew against the Forrest green.

A small leather quiver of steel crossbow bows clung to his side as the slowly crepted through the frosty wilderness.

The times had been trying, his brother and sister abandoning him to have to take care of the shop. He laughed at the thought of himself staying in that town, where there was no place set for improvement. At the very least, he'd move the business to a happening city to compete with another business. But hell, if his father had way, none of the children would get married and the three children would stay working in the bakery until they grew old and died with the company. But Kay would soon hang himself before that happened.

Kay had simply needed to get away from it all, the parents, the anger; all of it. Though getting away from the situation did little to calm his anxieties. For the business: what would he do? Without him, the business would have no heir and his brother and sister were out of the question: his sister had already decided to go off to a school to become a healer in a temple. Should he stay there with the responsibility and carry on his father's legacy? Or should he let the company die with his parents. He didn't know.

The cold wind and quiet in the Forrest did little to calm him. The violet ireses darted side to side, caution. Something was wrong- the Forrest was quiet. The deafening silence was an uncomfortable silence that chilled Kay. He had yet to spot a creature as the winter home of the Forrest creature held its breath.

Finally, Kay spotted a small winter fox coming out of its winter burrow. Droping into a crotch, he slowly withdrew his crossbow from his belt and began to load a bolt onto it. Partly distracted, Kay mishandled the bolt, sending it fly through the air. The bolt flew the air. Kay's heart stopped as the bolt was lost to the wind.

Clack.

The steel crossbow bolt bounced off the rough bark of the Maple Tree, making a loud sound. The ears of the fox flew up, trying to tell where the sound had come from. The furry creature slowly turned its head to meet Kay purple eyes. The creatures black pearly eyes flashed with alert as it ran.

The chase had begun.

Kay cursed under his voice as he got up and chased after the fox. The willy creature gracefully wove through the trees as Kay struggled to keep up. He fumble with his crossbow as he attempted to clip it to one of the metal clasps on his belt and he retieved his steel hatchet from the belt and raced after the small white beast.

Racing after small creature, Kay maneuvered through the trees after it.Damn, Kay thought as he slid under a low hanging tree branch, barely making it. Turning left, he continued to run. There was a short-cut. Running, Kay pushed himself. If he quick enough, he'd reach the fix before it could escape. His legs pounded the cold snow cover Forrest floor as he ran pass the trees.Heaving, he inhaled the cool winter air. Looking behind him, Kay could see the long distance he had cross. Turning his head, Kay's eyes widen as he saw the tree in his way. Sliding to the side, he attempted to avoid the tree

Slice

Kay felt a sharp pain in his arm. Ignoring it, he continued to run. Any ... Minute .... Now!

Running up a large rock outcrop and jumping into the air with his steel hatchet raised in the air, light shining off the blade. Seeing a furry creature resting on the grainy ground, Kay brought down the axe.

Splat!

Hooo!!!

The howl come be heard across the forrest. Realizing something was wrong, Kay looked down at the creature. Foxes don't howl like wolves, he thought as he turned the dead creature.

It was a wolf.

Geting up, Kay panicked. He felt sick. What had he done? He'd killed a werewolf. What would he do? The pack would surely notice a missing member. Should he just admit he'd done it. No, that'd be punishable by death.

Suddenly he noticed a blue collar. Sighing a breath of release, Kay relaxed. It was a someone's dog. Kay froze. What was she doing here?

At very second he thought that, he heard the sound of a hunting party.

Hearing that, he froze. Damn, he thought. He had to get out of here. At the very last moment, Kay managed to duck behind a tree. From behind it, he silently watched.

The hunting party coming into sight, the five boys, laughing, holding a fox in their hand. Damn it, Kay thought for the tenth time. Kay recognized all five of them. Two were the Lord of the town's aids, the one in the middle was the Lord's son and the other two were pack members. None of the boys liked Kay-- he wasn't very popular.

The relaxed expression on the boys faces turned to horror as the spotted the mangled remains of the once white furred dog. The Lord's son, Rair dropped his bow which had been in hand and ran to the dead creature. "No! No, Snowflake wake up. Wake up..." He cried. The group was silent. One of the boys from the pack walked towards Rair, putting his hand on his shoulder. "Just let go. I'm sorry , but she is dead." He said sympathy dripping from his words. The other pack member brought his nose to the air. "The murderer is still here." That tensed the entire group.

"Just come out, you can't take all of us," an aid said.

The group began to separate, searching for him. Leaning flat against the prickly bark of maple tree, Kay cursed as a pack member came closer to the tree. It was now or never.

It could not work. Perhaps when he tried to attack the member, Cale, he'll miss. Or he'd be recognized. Or he'd be shot.

Well its too late to think of that, Kay thought. He had to do it now or never.

Retrieving a small brown bottle from his pockets labeled quicksilver he kept just case. Well, this was as good as any time to use it.

Quicksilver. It was a deadly poison for werewolves. The silvery liquid was a none lethal poison for werewolves if there was one. It would cause a burning feeling and like look to a wolf's skin.

Removing the white cap from the bottle, Kay poured the silvery contents of the bottle into his free hand. Rubbing his hand in the quicksilver, Kay took a deep breath. Here he goes.

Turning towards Cale, he came out from hiding. Before the boy could respond, Kay punched him in the stomach, leaving a little residue of the liquid to burn him. Clasping the boy's shoulders, Kay could hear a cry of pain coming from the boy's mouth. Bringing his knee up into the Cale's stomach, the boy gagged. Next Kay pushed the boy back. Reaching out with his hands, Kay quickly pressed the palms of his hand on the boy wide eyes, blinding him. Pushing the boy back, Kay turned and ran into the forrest, the group running to Cale, asking what was wrong, not knowing Kay had temporarily blinded him.

Kay ran and ran and ran. He wouldn't stop until he was sure they hadn't followed him.

Kay was sure Cale didn't know him. And now they couldn't identify him.

Touching the deep cut on his arm, Kay took a small bangage of cloth from his pack and dabbed it in the flask of alcohol that he found as well. Hissing from the burn of the acohol against his wound, Kay couldn't help but think if the pain Cale would feel for weeks. He would be in the clear for the next few weeks. But what would he do when Cale would be able to see.

All he knew was that by harming a pack member, quicksilver or not, there'd hell to pay.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys! How's it going? This chapter was a late valentines gift :). Happy Valentine's Day! What did you think of the chapter? What do you think of Kay? Be sure to vote, if you want. Bye! See ya saturday!