Chapter 18

Walking towards to the building, Kay's anxiety grew with every step. There, his stomach grew and twisted with knots. And through his racing thoughts, his fears grew and grew.

The streets behind him whispered with the wind, exchanging secrets through the silence. The streets were deserted, devoided of human life, the shadow his body cast upon the ground under the pale light of the Moon, his only company. He heard the sound of his boots hit the paved ground.

The streets were silent, empty, as empty as the catacombs that laid bellow the streets of the city. Giving the chard door of the inn a push, Kay cringed as the door fell off its hinges, toppling to the ground. Taking a deep breath, Kay continued.

The blackened debre that had once been an inn had made it almost impossible to identify anything. And though the blackened debre dullened his sight, Kay could make out chard bodies with pinkish flesh sprayed out across the floors. Shooing away a group of birds from a body, he frowned. And in the air, Kay could make out the sickening twinge of burnt flesh.
Each room beheld a sickening sight.

Walking through each passing room, the knots tightened. Becoming angry, Kay thought. How could the townsfolk leave the inn burned and the bodies there for the birds to pick at.

Watching the birds fly off, Kay gulpes, thinking of his own family and with that he quickened his pace.

What if they were dead? Kay shivered at the very. Seeing their body and not even knowing it was theirs. Or worse, seeing them. Alive. Looking at their chard bodies, blackened from the fire. Watching them slowly  grasping  at the air, trying to grab the leg of his pants, begging him to kill them. Kay's quickened steps faltered with hesitance.

Falling to the floor, Kay clutched the sides of his head, Hus face contorted with heartache.

He knew he'd been condemned, punished by the Moon Goddess. After all, why the hell not? Nothing in the world was without pain and consequence.

Fighting back tears, Kay shook off the thoughts. Come on, he thought, there was still a chance for them to be alive.

Pushing himself to his feet, Kay fought hard to hold a smile of his face.They'd be alive, Kay just knew it. Just you wait,Kay thought, it would be okay.

Walking on the blackened soot that covered the floor, Kay said a silent prayer to the Moon Goddess. He prayed for the well being of his family. He could not imagine a world without them.

Cold breeze blew in from the collapse of the roof barely seemed to touch him. His cold clammy hands resembled those of a dead man. The silver glow of the moon exposed deep dark circles around Kay's eyes. And the cool touch of his fingers were cold to the touch. And he smelled of whiskey and death. He'd killed, killed. When he looked in the mirror, he saw a momster, a freak.

A vampire.

His teeth revealed two sharp fangs that were sharp enough to pierce the skin.

And there he was, an angel of death, walking the halls of dead men and their final resting place.
All of this was a disaster. His violet pupils examined the halls of the large inn. They seemed to glow, hopeful to find something, any thing.

Finally, Kay came to the stairs.

Or what was left.

Looking to the entrance to the stairway, Kay could see it had collapsed into itself.

Kay fell to his knees, tears welling up in his eyes. "No, no god damn it, no!" Kay screamed as he stared there, beyond. There beheld the object of his family's demise.