Chapter 23

The bright green leaves of Spring arrived to the Town of StoneHeart, that much was clear to me as I  wandered closer and closer to the town. With each step, the feeling of anticipation gripped me harder and harder. It took me all of his restraint to keep from running into town. The bright sunlight that passed through the leaves to meet the ground and my skin irritated me as I made an effort to keep out of the sunlight and kept to the shade. A cool breeze blew as I stopped for a moment for a breath and eyed the scenery for a look of familiarity. Eyes wide, I smiled.

I was home.

Kicking into high gear, I sprinted through the forest, running to get home. I couldn't wait. The familiar faces, the familiar days and the escape from the excitement of the outside world, in only for a moment. I could forget it all and get ready for the Aloose Festival. I didn't need to worry about any of it. I was home.

Then, feeling a feeling of unease, I came to a stop, my body telling me to take not a step forward. Looking around, I could smell the overwhelming pungent scent of a sort. What was it, I thought, contorting my face in disgust. Trying to shake off the feeling, I continued on.

The feeling gripped me harder and harder with each step, a terrible feeling bearing down on me more and more. With my hand on the handle of my blade, I slowly made my way through the forest. The unease was nerve raking as I moved, it chilling me as the soft wind would if I were still human. What was it? I knew not, and I hoped I would never discover what it was. Then, something moved through the forest, visible for only a second as I  turned to catch a glimpse of it, but to no avail as it disappeared into the forest. The feeling of wonder and joy disappeared as it was instead replaced by hysteria and fear. Something feral, something savage walked these forests, and even worse; called it home. The same pungent smell overpowering everything else.

Taking a step back, I took a deep breath as I tried to clear my head, only to pull in the smell, before exhaling it, as if trying to force any trace of it from my being. I knew this, this familiar scent, or what had  once seemed like a scent now became an odor. The unease was no longer unease as it grew into fear. Raw, uncontrollable fear.

Then it came to me, like a slap in the face as I realized in terror what it was. 

Werewolves.

That word alone sent a feeling of disgust, and describable fear down my spine as I crept forward. Turning from side to side, I looked around frantically. I couldn't contain myself as I felt the fear overtake me. It was too much.

 Too much. 

It was too much.  I could feel it as my body began to shake. I tried to stop it's movement, grabbing an arm  to stop it. To make it all stop. I thought as I fell to my knees, collapsing, Please stop, it's too much. It's too much. I didn't know why. I couldn't do this, I'd sooner fire upon myself with the crossbow that was at my side. My hands keeping myself from collapsing completely to the rocky ground of the forest, shook with unmatched vigor as they finally gave in beneath me. I screamed internally, salty tears streaming down my cheeks.

Please go away.

Go away.

GO AWAY.

I laid there as I begged for comfort. But none came, simply the ever so agonizing concoction of fear laced with disgust. Raising from my place, only to empty the contents of my stomach. Over and over again. Again and again. Clenching my eyes shut, I allowed no visions of the outside to escape into my gaze. 

I don't remember how long, I lay there. Must have been hours, as when I came to, the moon had replaced the sun and the cool glow of the moon greeted me, as I opened my eyes. 

Struggling to my feet, I stumbled a few feet before laying against a tree. Drying my eyes, I  wiped my mouth of vomit. The pungent odor was still ever  present as I made my way home. 

It was all a haze as I struggled to put one foot in front of another, stopping to gag every few minutes, as my stomach was empty with nothing left to throw up. No scarlet colored blood to splatter the green forestry. Taking but a step into the open surrounding the town, I hurried to the entrance. A guard, his face rough and covered in dirt, smiled as he recognized me.

"Greetings Kay, 'bout time you  got back,"

I nodded, passing him.

"Now, where i-" He stops short as I tumble down, collapsing on to the gravel road that paved the roads of the town.  Feeling a sharp pain across my leg, I lay there as the guards and passer-byes stop and surround me. The sound of panicked voices around my could be heard as I saw the boots of men on front of me as the voices slow and with every passing moment, my eyes push to close.

I passed from and to consciousness. Passing scenery was all I could manage to form in my dreams as I struggled to find some firm ground to stand on. I wasn't sure what was real and what was simply my imagination. I was just so, tired. I didn't know where I was. Nothing seemed tangible. I could see the forest, the town, the very city I'd been in, plains of grass fields, and all I could do was wait as my mind tried to agree with itself on a place to let me rest.