Chapter 9

Kay stood at the doorway of the crowded dining room, perplexed.

There on the room, his father prepared bags and packs of supplies. His mother was busy, making lunch. And his brother and sister were helping their father.

What time was it?

Kay had come in late at night. After hearing entire story of what he'd caused, Cale passed out. Stumbling through the woods, due to sleep depravation and the weight of Cale, Kay finally managed to return to the town. After leaving in the pack, where Kay felt like a fish out of water.

Finally, he'd gotten home. But by the time, the sun was rising. Of course, that didn't stop Kay from falling asleep before he even hit the bed.

Finally, someone noticed him. "Oh, hello Kay," James began "About time you woke." His throat scratchy and uncomfortable, Kay hoarsely said," Why did no one wake me?"

Not stopping the packing to look at him, his sister spoke up, "Oh, we tried. But of course, you would not wake up." She continued "Now hurry up, we have to be in the city in two days at the very latest."

"Why?" Kay asked, absentminded.

Everyone immediately stopped their work and looked at Kay, dumbfounded.

James snorted, saying "Very funny Kay," he chuckled to himself,"We have to be in the city for Martha's Courierum."

Kay could smack himself. He couldn't believe he'd forgotten. After all, his had been talking about this since Aloxia, the beginning of winter. Soon, she'd be a priestess of The Moon Goddess, serving to forward her word. But of course, before shed do so, she have to train.

Indeed it would be hard. To be a Priestess to the Goddess was a favored occupation of young women. They'd gain a great amount of respect. Not only that but more than a few priestesses rose up to be rulers of cities and highly respected members of the religious cabinet of the King.

And while it was a stunning role to hold, it was not opened for many. It is against of The Creed of the Moon for a male to become a priest of any sort. As The Moon Goddess was a female, the High temple said it was how it was-and always be.

Now came the Blue Moon Rising Courierum as it did the 16 years of Kay's life and centuries before.

"Well, I'll help you pack mother." Kay said rolling up his sleeve. Kay could smell a terrible ordor coming from his body. He have to fix that later.

At the ceremony, family members would go into the High temple and would go with the canidate to be with them during the entirety of the Courierum. As the saying goes, an civilian of your past should be there at the candidate's departure of the material world they'd live in.

His mother said in an annoyed voice, " Must we explain everything to you?" She, like James, shook her head, continuing " As I asked you a week ago and as you agreed, you'd be my substitute for the ceremony since someone needs to run the shop."

Kay groaned. He'd agreed the one day he'd not paid attention to anything. The whole ceremony was long, cold and would be awkward.

Kay had always been awkward in social situations. He'd be quiet and nervous. And while he was nervous, others would see it as calm and a reserved way. And that would attract people to Kay.

"I could take care of the shop," Kay said hopefully though he already knew the answer.

"Nice try, but I remember the last time we did that." His mother said, scolding.

His shoulders slumped. Over course his mother would bring that up. The last time, he'd burned a portion of the shop because he'd been to lazy to wait and watch the bread.

Still, Kay argued, "But I'm smarter now."

For the millionth time, she frantically shook her head,"No you promised."

Sighing, Kay scratch his forehead. At least he was going to head into the city and he'd be able to hear news about around the Coldric Kingdom and a new bottle of Quicksilver from a vender.

But still, he'd hoped to stay for the rest of the week. He'd been tracking the home of the elusive gold pelt stag. The animal's was said to bhave tender and tasty meat and the pelt is to die for. With the pelt alone and selling it to a rich imbecil, it had been said one could reciece a hefty ten thousand gold pieces. He'd been very sure he was close.

Turning to look at his sister, he felt a pang of sadness. For the past year, Martha hoped her mother would see this and proud of her but his mother had yet to show any care. If anything she had avoided the subject.

Poor girl, Kay, thought smiling mockingly, evidently he couldnt give a damn.

Getting up from his uncomfortable sitting condition and dusting off his pants, he spoke in a rude tone,"Well if you guys excuse me, I have worn up my ability to be around you. I'm going down to the stream for a wash."

Walking past James, Kay pushed him back. James sneered at him.

Kay wanted straight out the door.