Chapter 21

Pushing open the large double doors of the Cold Britches, Kay shivered as he felt the cold air of the outside become a figment of the past as it was replaced with the heat of the room. Taking a deep breath, Kay let the air warm his lungs. It indeed seemed as if winter not done with the Coldric Empire.  Then again, it never was. Throughout the rest of the year, the region would like fall victim of the winter's white magic.

Brushing off the powdery snow that had stuck to him as he made his way to the inn, Kay made it a point to stamp off the snow that covered the bottom of his boots.

A large red brick fireplace sat at the far wall of the inn. A small assortments of socks and shoes of socks laid before it.

His socks wet from the snow, Kay made the effort of pulling off each of his boots, and made his way over to the lively fire that irradiated waves of heat throughout the inn. Placing both his boots and socks before the fire as others had done before him. Undead or not, no one liked wet socks.

Kat sat on a wood bench while he waited for his socks to dry. And in the meanwhile, he looked around, becoming aware of the room. To his far left, he watched as a group of men and women gathered around a table as they participated in the game of chance.

Closer to him was a young bard, indulging himself in the cider of the inn, which Kay himself had been waiting to get his lips on.

The brew was brewed in the cellar of the inn, as many inns had participated in the very sport.

Scattered across the room was small tables with filled seats.

Though what really caught his eye was a small band of soldiers, probably on leave from overseas.
At the table, they shared a small dish of winter greens as they drank their pints of beer. Slowly one of them pulled out a silver flask and emptied the contents into the beer, before they took a heavy, frothy gulp of the beer.

They wore the Military's color, the white and blue studded uniform, with pride. Their eyes held a sudden keenness and alert, as if their undying gaze would not miss a thing.

As they felt Kay eye them with curiousity, their heads all snapped to look at him. Startled, Kay nearly jumped from his seat. Something about their glaze set Kay off. As they eyed him up, the four men sneered at Kay, disgusted. Taken aback, Kay began to worry even more as they rose from their seats with a single, quick, stiff movement. It chilled Kay as he saw their, their unity. As if they were perfectly in sync.

Kay watched as they rose, and with that very same sync, they seemed to fall into a line. His eyes never left left them as they left the inn. Only when they left, did he allow himself that luxury.

Kay couldn't shake the uneasy feeling that clung to his stomach.

Once he was sure his socks had dried, he rose to his feet and got to pulling back on his boots.

Stretching each of his arms, Kay approached the bar. Passing a small group of four men and two women. They ignored Kay, only acknowledging him to make way for him, and continued the conversation they had been having.

Pulling a stool from the counter, Kay climbed onto the wooden seat, resting his feet on floor.

Pulling his coin purse from his side, Kay looked up find a man looking at him expectantly.

"Huh?" Kay said, puzzled.

"Well, you go'ng  order anyth'ng or not," the man barked," Because 'f not, get out,"

Flustered, Kay mumured a sorry before ordering. "I'll have a cup of your cider, a nice cut of a well cooked venison and a stew of tomato,"

Nodding, the man  turned around, before disapearing into the back room.

Stifling a yarn, Kay stopped for a moment as he heard a shuffle behind him. Cringing his head  as far as it went, Kay could see the two men and a woman from the group who he'd originally passed to make his way to the bar, begin to approach him in a menacing tone, as their body language narrate.

The three others, who'd also been in the group, tried to console, those their intervene was futile

Kay rose to face them in a carefree tone, only to have the three falter in their step.

Turning to see a young man, eyeing the three, Kay eyed the man. Realizing he must have been in a position of authority, Kay smiled. Silently thanking the man, Kay made a curt nod.

Without missing a beat, the man spat at Kay. Taken aback, he wore a shocked expression on him face.

Scowling, Kay turned away from the man to find a small pint of cider with his side of venison and stew. Lifting the pint and small plate, Kay made his way to a table that was free.

Placing the plate on to the table, Kay pulled out a seat. Falling into the seat, Kay, causally lifting his pint of cider, took a hard swig of the alcohol.

Releshing in the taste, Kay smiled. The past two weeks had been a testing time, but finally he'd found himself. And not the husk of a human, but rather the real him, the actual substance.

And here he was, in a bar on a cold Spring day, sipping a bit of cider and eating a bit of venison. Downing the contents of the bowl, Kay wiped the sides of his mouth with a napkin.

Kay knew he no longer had to eat, nor did he have to mind his drinking. He was a vampire, of course. But he indeed wasn't ready to give that up. The drinking, though, as far as he could see would never change.

Finishing his cut of venison, Kay rested the fork and knife he'd used on to the plate. Pushing the plate to the center of the table, Kay drew in closer to the table as he began to finish his pint.

"Kay, is that you?"

Looking up from the table, Kay's eyes caught on to a familiar face.

Martha.

Jumping from his seat, Kay fell to his feet as he beheld the person before him.

"Martha,"

Moving from his spot, Kay nearly pushed over an observer as he made his way to her before stopping before her.

Kay watched as tears began to well up in his eyes.
Martha didn't have a chance to react as Kay pulled her in to a hug.

Resting his head on her shoulder, Kay began to cry.

Dumbstruck, Martha stood there, before moving her hands from her sides to hug him back. She'd never seen him like this before. But in the time he'd been gone, something must have happened

"Its okay," she cooed, smiling.

And for the first time in a long time, Kay believed her.