Chapter 17

Kay's eyes lit up in amazement as he beheld the marvelous sight of the city of Holeq. He'd forgotten the way the city moved, fluidly as if they all knew what came next. His violet irises twinkled under the glow of the pale white moon, as white as the snow that would return and cover the streets.

His military leather boots clicked against the stone streets of Holeq, as he took in the exotic sites and smells. Over every corner, he could behold the marvel of a street performer, dancing, singing and more. Coming across one, Kay opened his large coin purse, and threw five gold coins into a performers case.

The city of Holeq was a sight to see indeed. It was all he'd heard of and remembered and even more. Shops and venders flashed their wares and yelled prices.

"Never be without defense, with a new curved dagger, straight from the best blacksmith of all of The Coldric Army," A vendor yelled as people stopped at his cart.

Lights illuminated from Shops as Kay peered through windows. Passing a shop, Kay eyed the various weapons as they seemed to call to his as they gleamed from the light. Fine leather hilts and clean steel swords were finely created.

Taking a deep breath, Kay inhaled the delicious smells of freshly made goods from the nearby bakery, one of the hundreds that competed for his coins.

Shaking his head, the short twinkle in Kay's eyes, disappeared behind the hardened marbles that were his eyes. He was here for a reason. He had taken the loan from Adam for a reason. To see his family, not to  play in the playground that was the city.

Before he left, Adam had given him  twenty hundred coins and some clothes

Of course, it was not simply from the goodness of his heart. Nothing was that simple. At least, nothing that mattered. Instead, it was a debt. Something that would mark Kay forever.

Might as well have been his life.

Smiling, Kay knew what would come next. After all, he'd never intended to repay the debt, for what it was was indeed too much for what was given. But Kay would be long gone before the bastard knew.

And so here he stood, in military grade leather boots, a black trench coat as the two men who'd dragged him into the Manor and a finely forged, steel rapier in its hilt, latched to his belt, which also held his newly polished crossbow and clean hatchet.

With every step he took, Kay became increasingly aware of the looks he received from the diverse sea of faces . With every turn, people cringed to take a look of his pale face. With every smile, the glares of many would increase. What was it? With a quick turn down a busy street, Kay walked faster, as if he himself wished to escape the oblique glares with which burned holes into his back.

Stopping in front of a small inn, Kay pushed the wood door open. Before going any farther, he'd get something to eat

The inn was similar to the one back home. Stung up upon the walls were Calvician Art , and Kay could hear the laughter of drunken men as the warm fire flickered. A bard sang a ballad in a calm voice and a bar was built as men sat down, trying to fill their bellies with ale as they barked their orders of drinks and slapped down coins to pay. And at the very back of the room sat man at small clothed table.

The man was military, that much was obvious, with his military issued leather boots (which seemed to mimic Kay's), his dark blue and black uniform and his military styled hair. He sat there, yelling  of the military's propaganda Kay knew all too well.

At the school the pack issued, it was hardwired in each child's mind, it was their duty to die for the Coldric Empire. To Kay, it was hogwash, but of course, that didn't matter due to the Conscription Policy.

It was every six year old's nightmare. Going off to war to die. But it was part of life. The Conscription Policy was an old one, as old as the Empire its self and many others around. But unlike many empires, The Policy was always going on. It was a pretty biased system. In fact, 1 out of every 3 boys of cities have served. Luckily, in the town, that standard was decreased to 2 out of 20 people.

But even so, Kay had known many people do crazy thing to get out service. Some have killed themselves, broken their hands and become paralysed to avoid service. Others just joined prematurely, murdered others and were sent to prison, been announced insane, paid officials. But the craziest thing someone ever had done was chopping their own fingers off. In fact, 1/3 of that 2/3 of people who had served have tried to get out of military service.

The man sat there, possibly as an army enlister

Sitting down at the randomly chosen table, Kay calmly waited for a waiter to come.

Finally a waiter arrived and Kay orders. He eagerly ordered a half of a season baked potato, a leg of mutton and a cup of cider.

Finally the food arrive and with much eagerness, Kay dug in. And in a few short minutes, Kay had gulped down the potato, the leg of lamb and had mixed his cider with a stout and after two more drinks, he was filled with liquid courage.

Slamming his empty glass on to the table with the awkwardness in movement being alcohol instilled, Kay stumbled up from the table.
Clumsily, dropping the coin he owed, Kay stumbled out of the inn.

Pushing through the doors,  Kay was met with a blow of cold air into his face. Feeling the cool air wash pass his face, Kay turned to find in surprise.

The deserted streets of Holeq.

Kay was confused. He'd gone into the inn for mere minutes. And yet,  here he was, in the empty streets.

Pulling out a small piece of paper from his pocket, Kay eyed it. On the paper was the name of the inn he'd find his family. Folding the paper back up, Kay continued down the street.

Sneezing, Kay wiped his nose. Moon knows when he'd find the Inn. Today, tomorrow, never?

Stumbling across the empty dark streets, Kay began to giggle nonstop. This situation was just too funny. Here he was alone, just like how he'd die. Alone. His mother dead, his sister dead.

Everyone dead.

It was just so funny.

He enjoyed the alcohol, and according to The man, this feeling would be the only time he'd ever feel it. The feeling of inebriation, it was going to just disappear. Nothing would affect Kay soon.

Nothing.

So this was why he drank, to feel this. This was his one chance, he didn't want to miss it.

But it was different from what he'd imagined. His vision was blurred, he felt heavy and slow, and yet, he felt this strange feeling of euphoria. A delightful feeling that seemed to embrace Kay with warm hands.

As if they had a mind their own, his feet led him, Kay was surprised to find himself on the street of the inn. With a excited grin, Kay ran down the streets. He'd found it and he'd see them again. He give them all a hug, and all would be just fine. The sound of his soles hitting the floor filled the air of the empty Holeq streets.

Finally, he stop in front the inn, a sign at his feet. Coming closer for a look, Kay read:

The Silverwood Inn.

Looking up, Kay could see the chard remains of the inn.

And he sobered up real quick.