Chapter 19

Kay's damson pupils gave off a faint glow as he walked the streets of Holeq. The surreal silence engulfed the air around as his boots silently hit the surface of the streets.

The Witching hour had befallen the city and Kay flexed his arms. He felt a new found feeling of strength as power coursed through his veins.

Citizens slept peacefully in their beds, tired from a long day of work. No inn was openned as the inn keepers thselves slept on. The city was pitch black, no light flooded the dark streets of Holeq. The streets  of the city fell devoid of life.

Kay held a scowl on his visage as he walked the empty streets. His pale arms fell victim to the wind  as they moved to its whim. He held the skin of a dead man.

A hunger began to fill the bottom of Kay's stomach. His fangs extented from his mouth as he snarled into annoyance. Soon though, the annoyance changed to the primal instinct that flowed through the cold blood that was his.

Taking in a deep breath, Kay  halted in his promenade. A malevolent grin grew on Kay's face as the seconds passed. He looked around, opening his nose to the scents of blood. Almost immediately, his nose was bombarded with the smell of blood. It overwhelmed Kay as he caught his breath. Taking another deep breath, Kay began to breath in the scent of his victim. The smell was heavenly, Kay was at a loss for words.

The cool spring night air whistled in the wind as Kay moved swiftly, weaving through buildings. His hands twitched as he inhaled once more. Kay's grin disappeared, only to be replaced with a small wry smile. Before dusk, he'd have his fill.

Finally, his gaze fell upon a dull light as a guard held a lantern in his tough, suntanned hands. The lantern's fire gave off a cool light as it lazily blew from side to side from the wind. The lantern slowly ate away at the oil that substained it.

Approaching the lantern with caution,Kay was careful of the beast. The lantern held an animal suppressed by man. And though the flame had succumb to man, it was still alert, waiting for the moment to turn on their very masters.

Keeping his head down, Kay passed the guard.

"Hey, stop right there!"

Stopping abruptly, Kay turned to look at the man warily.

"What are doing out here at this time," the man under the city issued armor.

" The curfew is still in affect for kids like you, get home now, runt!" The man barked,"There are still vampires on the loose."

The man continued,"Are you stupid, huh,HUH? Are you so bent on being a moron." The man's contorted with disgust.

"Why don't you run off to your mother and father, you little shit,"

Kay formed fists with his hands before saying nothing and continuing down the street, hoping to be left alone.

Though, he wasn't lucky enough. The man quickly blocked Kay's way, and continued antagonizing him farther, perhaps thinking he could not do anything about the harassment.

"Hey, hey, I'm talking to you. Answer me, you little shit." He yelled.

Kay's face contorted in disgust as the guard got in his face. The smell of rot left the corners off his mouth and entered into Kay's nose. With great haste, Kay pulled back.

The man towered over Kay, obvious hostility flow from him. The guard, wearing the standard city guard uniform, look like nothing special, though. The steel armor held the Holeq insignia on the back of the heavy armor.

At his back, was a heavy, steel greatsword, testing in its leather sheathe and a finely kept metal crossbow was held at his side.

Looking at the lantern held in the man's balled fist with worry, Kay said nothing.

Looking amused, the man said,"What are you going to do, you little shit, huh?"

Kay's arritated scowl, twisted into a wide smile.

And he finally spoke.

"My bad sir, terribly sorry." Kay said in a calm, cheerful tone. "It won't happen again,"

With a confident smile, Kay pushed past the man. Turning around, Kay turned to the man, and, taking a deep breathe of the man's scent, looked up at him.

"I'll remember you, sir," Kay said to the man.

The guard, grumbled to himself before sitting back at his post.

As Kay walked away, Kay thought of what the man said. Or more specifically, the useful information.

Vampires.

Could it be possible they'd become aware of his being a vampire. After all, an awful lot of of people had seen the symbol of the clothes.

Or perhaps was there more.

After that incident at the inn, Kay had been smart enough to use some of the ash from the fire to cover the insignia.

Kay continued his pursuit, confident that he  could still find the heavenly scent.

Finally, Kay stopped at the door of a large, 2– story blacksmith shop. He'd found it. The scent's orgin. All last, dinner.

The workplace of the blacksmith seemed exceptional, armed with a steel anvil at the side of the the forge, and rack of malliots, engravers, and more.

Reaching for the bronze door knob of the house, Kay was agitated to find it locked.

Hissing with annoyance, Kay considered ripping the knob from door. Kay soon dropped the idea. He indeed could, but alas, it would be such a mess.

Looking around for a way inside, Kay was delighted at the sight of another door to the inside.

Still,  he was agitated as he found the other door lock as well.

Sheathing with impatience, Kay resorted the first plan, grasping the bronze knob with all of his strength, crushing it. It made a short crinkling. Pulling it out of the door as if the knob had merely been a scroll of paper, Kay gentily place the metal scrap onto the floor.

Opening the door, Kay entered the house.

Entering the room, Kay was surprised to find he'd enter not the house, but instead he was in a store. Taking a step into the room, Kay could smell a heavy scent of must permiate the room.

Stifling a cough after breathing in, Kay crossed the room to a wood door. Looking through the small key hole, Kay could make out the figure of a small table across the wall from the door.

Peer farther, Kay could see nothing more to worry him. Slowly openning the door, Kay carefully closed the door, cautious of alerting the resident of the house.

A still silence had filled the house, and Kay did his best to honor that. As his boots hit the solid oak wood floor, Kay muffled his heavy footsteps.

Appearing in the narrow doorway of a bedroom, Kay silently watch the covers that seemed to in a calm manner. Taking a step forward, Kay could sense the individual heart beats.
To the left, a heart beated with strength as it began to beat faster and faster. As its owner began to breath harder. To the left was a calm heart beat. Soon, as in the condition of the first heart, the heart beats became fast and faster as its own masters breathe became more and more erratic.

Kay grinned as he watched over them. Finally, his meal had arrive, and he knew there was no escape for them. Just death.

Walking to the left side of the cotton stuffed mattress, Kay leaned in with a deliciously evil grin on his face. And with a mere whisper, he conveyed their fate.

"Sweet dreams,"