Five

Jaxon Knight stood on the balcony of his penthouse apartment bare chested, dressed only in a pair of joggers, hung low on his hips

Jaxon Knight stood on the balcony of his penthouse apartment bare chested, dressed only in a pair of joggers, hung low on his hips. With a whisky in one hand and his mobile phone in the other.  Just call him already.  Unsure why he was reluctant.

Pausing, his finger ready to swipe. Fucking Coward.

A siren from the city streets below diverted his attention. Lowering his phone. He inhaled the warm air around him. The intense heat of the day may have departed, but the muggy heat pressed in on him. His mind was a hurricane of thoughts. Looking outwards, he peered into the New York night-time. Beyond the horizon, the silhouette of the skyline pierced through the warm glow like a jagged mountain ridge. Millions of lights caused the dense mass of skyscrapers to glow. Despite the time, the hustle of and bustle never came to a halt.

He loved New York City—It was good to be home.

One month away had turned into six months of continuous travelling. Following his three months stay in China, his father had requested that he handle their future acquisitions and mergers in Europe.

He couldn't hold off any longer. Lifting his phone, he swiped the contact for Nathan. Pressing the phone to his ear, he waited. Jaw twitching, he breathed out through his nose. it diverted to voicemail.

Cursing, he contemplated leaving a message; ultimately deciding against it.

Perhaps this was better. A face to face would be more fitting this conversation.

He sucked in a breath through gritted teeth as a pair of small hands ran around his midriff to clasp over his abdomen.

"Why are you out here?" she whispered, pressing her warm naked body against his. "You left me alone."

Because I need room to think, breathe. "Just catching some fresh air, I've been away for too long. I've missed this view—the city." He wasn't lying.

"Have you spoken with Nathan?"

Drawing his brows together, muscles tightening. "No. He won't be back in New York till Monday," he lied.

"What are you thinking?" she twisted her head, lying her cheek against the smooth surface of his bare back.

Swallowing. His eyes lowered, swirling his whisky around the glass tumbler. Should he be honest? "Things have changed since I've been away. I'm not sure if Nate will want this."

She resisted a sigh. "You realize this is only going to work for me if you both want this."

Stilling, he gripped his whisky glass tumbler tightly. He could feel the cage closing in, sealing off any workable alternatives. "I'm aware of the terms Nicole." His mind skipped ahead to all the possible outcomes of a discussion with his brother.

Pulling back marginally; she kissed his left shoulder blade. "Good. Then come back to bed, the night is still young and I'm nowhere near finished with you."