Thirty-Four

"We land in ten minutes, Sir, and a car will be waiting

"We land in ten minutes, Sir, and a car will be waiting."

"Thank you, Mr Phillips," Nathan acknowledged, as his attention fell on his brother.

"Jaxon, ten minutes."

Jaxon's brow furrowed before arching. "Ah-hu," he absently replied.

"What?" asked Nathan. Jaxon had been reading since taking off.

"You need to read this."

Nathan pinched the bridge of his nose. "I would rather have Rayne tell me what she wishes us to know." He excused Jaxon's curiosity, but it didn't ease the stain of shame he felt of doing so without Rayne's consent.

Jaxon sighed, letting his head fall back on the headrest. "I know you're upset with me. But I need to know what we're walking into. This is a family she ran away from. What would make her return?  And why now?" He placed the file down on the chair next to him. "And it's understandable she doesn't talk about it. Fuck, I want to kill the bastard for what he did to her. And her mother was equally just as bad."

Nathan turned his attention to the small airplane window. "We shall find out when we find her and bring her home." Nicole's words lay heavy on his shoulders. He didn't doubt Rayne had suffered abuse when younger, and knowing it was her brother that had inflicted said abuse made him sick to the stomach. 

Rayne had been a child. And what child could fully understand what was happening to them? And if she slept with him under the assumption she felt something other than sisterly love, it still made no difference to their relationship.

He loved Rayne, his Rayne-drop.  The past was the past. He only hoped she wouldn't let whatever was happening now impact on her present and destroy her future.

His phone buzzed, reaching inside his pocket. "I have the brother's address.  Something tells me.  Find him—find Rayne."

Jaxon nodded, curling his hand into a fist. "Agreed."

~ ~

Marcus Winters sat outside in his car looking at his home.  The conversation with his mother ticked over in his thoughts for the umpteenth time. She had told him where Rayne had been these years, how she lived with two men—slept, no, fucked two men. Brothers.

Whore... were his mother's words as she made it perfectly clear her feelings for her daughter... his sister and how he needed to see her for who she really was.  And although the idea of her with two men was sickening, he still couldn't accept his own feeling was wrong.  How could loving someone be wrong?

Rubbing his temple, the hour was getting late, and he couldn't sit here all night.  Heading inside, he found Rayne curled up on his sofa, fast asleep.

No matter what his mother had said.  His feelings didn't feel wrong.  And he wouldn't let her return those bastards.  He could provide everything she needed.  They could be as they were before she'd left him.