Two

Nathan Knight sat in the corner, partially hidden but keeping an unrestricted view of the woman that had occupied his thoughts since he first laid eyes upon her

Nathan Knight sat in the corner, partially hidden but keeping an unrestricted view of the woman that had occupied his thoughts since he first laid eyes upon her. And today was the third day straight he had watched her daily ritual. Fascinated was an understatement.

It was curious, almost bizarre that every day, she would take a seat in the same booth. Pull out a book to read six pages before a server would approach her table and without uttering a word set down the following items:

Two slices of brown malted bread.

Two slices of turkey.

A salad bowl and lastly an apple—a red apple.

The object of his interest would arrange the plate, cutlery to their precise spot, and then make quick work of creating her own sandwich. One step at a time, almost robotically but methodical and meticulous, never deviating. Her beautiful pouty lips silently moved. Counting?  He wasn't sure.

Sandwich prepared and cut into six identical parts, she picked up the apple. Rubbing it lovingly with her napkin—six times before slicing it into six precise slices.

Oblivious to the world around her, and always the same. He fought back a smile. She was adorable, cuteness wrapped up in a body that would have men falling to their knees to indulge in the pleasure only she could provide.

His phone vibrated. Faced down, he flipped it over to see it was Jaxon, his brother. With a silent groan, leaning back into his chair, he accepted the call, wondering to what he owed the pleasure of the call. He hadn't spoken with Jax for going on ten days, their disagreement still fresh in his mind. Perhaps he had come to his senses?

It didn't help matters that Jaxon was currently based in China, overseeing the opening of their new offices. Just to get this far had taken them three long months, China had been a tough cookie for Knight Communications to crack.

"Hey," his tone clipped, but felt guilty for directing his annoyance at his brother for interrupting the precious time he had to watch her. Keeping his attention solely on her, his brother voice barely registered. Deciding it was far more interesting to picture his fingers running through her soft curls as he led her closer to his hardened flesh, the parting of her plump lips...

"Nate!"

"Sorry, what?" Shifting in his seat, a rush of blood headed south.

"Where are you? The old man said you'd vanished?" challenged Jaxon.

Nathan restrained rolling his eyes as he adjusted his trousers. Their father didn't miss a trick. "A small eatery on sixth." Where apparently it was the norm to make your own sandwiches.

"Not your usual haunt." It truly wasn't. But rather than answer, he brushed off the thought and recalled the profound impact she'd instilled deep within him when their bodies had collided.