09. TROUBLE AND TRUTH

"Do you think they have a relationship?" The question came unexpectedly from the blond, directed at the tall man in a suit, who raised an eyebrow in response.

With a nonchalant shrug, the tall man settled himself on the ground. Exhausted from the day's events, they had sought out a quiet spot to rest for the night, intending to resume their search for his target come morning.

"What's it to you?" Leorio retorted, his tone playful as he glanced at the blond. Kurapika found himself at a loss for words, unsure how to respond to his friend's question. Leorio's teasing smirk only widened as he spoke again. "You like her, don't you, Kurapika?"

"What? N-no!" Kurapika stammered, his cheeks flushing crimson. Leorio's laughter rang out, causing Kurapika's embarrassment to deepen. "Why the hell are you laughing?!"

"You should've seen your face!" Leorio chuckled, his laughter echoing until Kurapika shot him a serious look, silently signaling for him to cease. "Come on, Kurapika, it's too obvious that you have feelings for her. You wouldn't act that way if you didn't. I mean, look at your blushing face," Leorio remarked with a teasing tone, gesturing towards Kurapika's flushed cheeks.

'Do I really like her?' Kurapika pondered inwardly, gently touching his own cheeks as if searching for answers. The whirlwind of emotions he experienced when you were around, or when he witnessed you and Hisoka kissing, left him uncertain and confused. He yearned to understand the source of these conflicting feelings and why you had such an effect on him.

"Arghhh!" Kurapika let out a heavy sigh, covering his face with both hands in frustration. He peered up at the dark sky, its beauty failed to distract his troubled mind. Removing his hands, the dark circles beneath his eyes, evidence of his restless thoughts and inner turmoil.

Since the night of the accidental kiss, Kurapika couldn't shake you from his thoughts. The dark circles under his eyes served as evidence of his restless nights. Blaming you for his loss of sleep, he felt as though you were running laps in his mind, constantly occupying his thoughts even when he closed his eyes. He loathed this incessant preoccupation, yet paradoxically found himself drawn to it, unable to fully comprehend his own feelings.

'I've only known her for a few days. Why am I suddenly developing feelings for her?' Kurapika mused, leaning against a tree with his arms crossed over his chest. A sudden realization struck him.

'I shouldn't be wasting my time on this. I need to focus on the exam and avenging my clan. These feelings can wait, or if not, I must put an end to them before they deepen.' With a determined resolve, Kurapika resolved to prioritize his goals and set aside his confusing emotions for the time being.

Despite Kurapika's efforts, it took him half an hour to finally push thoughts of you out of his mind. However, as he succumbed to sleep, a sense of unease lingered within him. In his dreams, you appeared vividly—your voice, your face, and the memory of the accidental kiss replayed in his mind. Though unintended, that kiss held significance for him, stirring emotions he struggled to acknowledge.

Deep down, Kurapika knew that he had already developed feelings for you, but he refused to admit it, even to himself. As he drifted into a restless slumber, his heart wrestled with the conflicting desires to both embrace and deny these newfound emotions.

In a small cave by the seashore on the east side of the island, you lay awake, unable to find solace in sleep. With no one around, you allowed yourself to succumb to the agony consuming you. Eyes squeezed shut, body tensing as you fought to contain the overwhelming pain threatening to consume you entirely. But eventually, the torment became too much to bear, and you screamed, your cries echoing against the cave walls.