07. UNFAMILIAR FEELINGS

You passed out in Kurapika's arms and he tried to ease you onto his lap. With care, he positioned your head on his lap while the rest of your body lay on the floor due to lack of space. Unable to move you to the couch—Leorio had claimed it as his makeshift pillow—he kept you close, steering clear of Tonpa's unpleasant odor. Pressed against the wall, he watched over you, arms folded across his chest.

Your scarf had slipped, revealing your peaceful and angelic face, though now marred by unconsciousness. Unexpectedly, a tear trickled down your right cheek, your lips quivering. Kurapika gently wiped away the tears, but they continued to stream down your cheeks. Despite his efforts to rouse you, you remained unresponsive, causing growing concern to creep into his thoughts.you up, but it proved fruitless. He was getting worried.

Kurapika realized that you were having a nightmare; but for you, it was a haunting memory.

"Shin..." You whispered a name that stirred a sense of familiarity in him. "Shin, I'm back." A faint smile graced your lips as tears continued to trickle down your cheeks while your eyes remained closed. Saddened and taken aback by this glimpse into your past, Kurapika watched you closely. Without warning, you raised your right hand as if reaching out to someone. After a moment of hesitation, Kurapika tentatively reached for it. As he grasped your hand, your tears ceased, and your smile faded, leaving Kurapika puzzled by the sudden change in your demeanor.

"I will come back again, Shin... Pairo."

Kurapika's eyes widened.

How did you know Pairo?

•••

Out of 42 examinees, only 26 managed to pass the Third Phase. The remaining 26, including yourself, were transported to Zevil Island for the Fourth Phase, which entailed a harrowing manhunt across the island.Each examinee was assigned a target and given a card with a corresponding badge number. The objective was to obtain the badge of their assigned target while safeguarding their own. A target's badge was worth 3 points, and retaining one's own badge also earned 3 points. Any other badge obtained counted as a single point.To pass the phase, a total of 6 points had to be accumulated through any means necessary.

"Hey Y/n-chan. Who did you get?" Gon inquired, with Killua standing beside him, his hands casually resting on the back of his head. Killua's cold-blue eyes, reminiscent of your father Silva, scrutinized you, his gaze conveying a sense of distrust.

You noted Sniper, number 80, eyeing Gittarackur, number 301, as her target. It seemed luck was not on her side. Fortunately, you had memorized everyone's badge numbers since leaving Trick Tower, anticipating their usefulness.

"I got the sniper girl," you replied, gesturing towards her direction as she remained fixated on the peculiar man. Turning to Gon, you inquired, "Who did you get?"

Gon raised his left hand, revealing the badge number of the lecherous clown. "Do you want to team up?" you asked, concern evident in your voice, but Gon shook his head confidently.

"I can do this," he reassured you, offering his most comforting smile, though you sensed his underlying fear. You ruffled his hair affectionately and narrowed your eyes into crescents, a gesture of warmth and reassurance.

"Sure you can! Promise me you'll pass, okay?" you urged Gon, who nodded earnestly in response. Without warning, you enveloped him in a hug, surprising both him and those watching nearby. It was an unusual gesture from you, driven by genuine concern for Gon's well-being.

A flutter of surprise stirred in Gon's chest as he realized this was the first time you had initiated a hug with him. Despite the audience of Kurapika, Leorio, and Killua, you were solely focused on reassuring Gon.