05. KILLUA'S STORY

After completing the first and second phases of the exam, everyone was thoroughly exhausted—you had indeed underestimated the Hunter Exam. The first phase had been a breeze for you, and by that point, numerous applicants had already failed within the tunnel. As everyone followed Mr. Satotz into the Swindler's Swamp, a significant number of examinees fell prey to the various creatures lurking within the forest.

The second phase was... well, you weren't quite sure what went on during the 'cooking and food presentation' with the Gourmet Hunters and proctors, Menchi and Buhara, as you remained outside the entire time. When the Chairman of the Hunter Association questioned why you hadn't joined them, you bluntly replied, "I don't cook." At least you were honest and didn't waste time hunting pigs and roasting them, especially since Menchi didn't pass anyone in the end. However, with Netero's sudden appearance, he persuaded Menchi to give everyone another chance, acknowledging that the challenge they had been given was unfair. You joined in and passed along with the other 42 examinees.

You and the other 42 remaining examinees were transported aboard the Hunter Association's private airship, where it was announced that the next phase would commence at 8 am the following day. Kurapika and Leorio retreated to a room where the other examinees gathered to rest. Part of you wanted to join them, especially since you and Leorio had started to bond a bit after the events in the Swindler's Swamp. However, upon spotting Hisoka in the room, you decided to leave without informing the two males.

"Back at the Swindler's Swamp. What really happened there?" a voice queried from behind as you stood outside the room where the examinees were resting. You gazed down at the city lights below, momentarily captivated by their beauty, until the earlier scene flashed through your mind.

You ran alongside Gon and Killua, trailing the group ahead as they followed Mr. Satotz through the thick fog. Screams pierced the forest, signaling the demise of other participants devoured by the creatures lurking within. Glancing back, you searched for the two, only to notice a silhouette in a corner, sensing who it was from overhearing the men plotting against Hisoka.Meanwhile, Gon grew increasingly concerned about Leorio and Kurapika, who were nowhere to be found. Ignoring Killua's warning, he set off to locate them, despite both you and Killua yelling his name in protest. With synchronized tchs, you informed Killua that you would follow Gon.

As you trailed after Gon's small form, someone abruptly yanked your scarf and seized you by the shoulders, covering your mouth and nose with a handkerchief. The scent of the handkerchief reminded you of the sleeping flower you encountered in the Kukuroo Mountain, but it had no effect on you. Reacting swiftly, you seized the man holding you by the neck and flipped him onto his back, the sickening sound of his neck snapping echoing through the air. The two other men watched in stunned silence, their faces frozen in shock. It didn't take long for them to launch a joint attack on you, prompting you to manipulate your hand, transforming your nails into razor-sharp weapons. You tore through their flesh, extracting their hearts from their bodies.

Throughout the encounter, your eyes remained closed, only opening when you heard footsteps approaching. With lightning reflexes, you swiftly positioned yourself behind the newcomer, your sharp nails poised at their neck—only to freeze in recognition as you realized who it was.

"My, my, what a beautiful sight," Hisoka remarked with a smile, causing your gaze to flicker to the man he held captive. Instinctively, you stepped back, your heart racing as you recognized Leorio, unconscious or perhaps even dead.

"What have you done to him?" you demanded, your voice laced with anger.

"Don't fret, my dear. Your friend is merely unconscious. I simply gave him a little lesson," Hisoka replied smoothly, his smile widening. "But perhaps you'd like a lesson too? There's still time~"