18. IT'S NICE TO SEE YOU

Note: An OC is introduced in this chapter.

The shrill screech of the alarm clock jolted you from your deep slumber, yanking you back to the harsh reality of your life. With a groan, you blindly pointed your index finger in the direction of the clock, too exhausted to even glance at it. However, your attempt at ignoring the noise was abruptly interrupted by the sound of shattering glass echoing across your chamber.

Instinctively, you buried your face beneath a pillow, seeking refuge from the sudden disturbance.After a moment of eerie silence, you cautiously lowered the pillow, relieved to find tranquility once more. As you tried to drift back into sleep, striving to push aside the looming responsibilities awaiting you for the week, a knock on the door shattered the peace.

"Good morning, Y/N-sama. Breakfast will be served in the dining hall in 40 minutes. Master Silva requests your presence in his office before breakfast," the voice outside the door announced.

With a groan, you reluctantly lifted yourself up, your gaze drifting towards the bedside table where your clock usually sat. However, your furrowed brows betrayed your confusion as you found the table empty. It wasn't until the realization dawned upon you that the smashing sound you heard just moments ago was the demise of yet another clock.

"That's your 27th clock, for fuck's sake, Y/N!" you complained bitterly to no one but yourself.Sighing in frustration, you pondered the absurdity of destroying yet another clock—27 times now since the night you had returned to your chamber and managed to sleep.

You rose from your queen-size bed, memories of your peaceful mornings on Whale Island flooded your mind. You and Gon used to wake up at eight every morning, eager to explore the forest, hike, and fish together. Those tranquil days, free from the burdens of assassination jobs for three years, brought you a sense of calm. However, you couldn't deny the nights plagued by haunting nightmares that often robbed you of sleep, even now.

ting

You glanced at the screen of your recently purchased phone, a brand new device acquired just four days ago from a newly opened shop in Yorknew City. The appearance of an unknown number caused your eyebrows to furrow in irritation as you read the text messages with a blank expression, the remnants of a not-so-good morning still evident on your face.

From: Unknown Number
Good morning, my sweet angel :*
How was your sleep? I wager you didn't get enough rest, for I'm certain thoughts of me filled your night. ;)
sent 6:24am

You mentally scoffed upon reading the second message. The idea of spending a whole night thinking about his stupidity seemed ludicrous to you. No way. It would be a complete waste of time, especially judging by the tone of the texts—you already knew who it was. Grumbling to yourself, you questioned why you had even given this man your number in the first place. Accepting his offer now seemed like a regrettable decision.

When are you coming back here? I missed you already. Let's prepare for our fight <333
sent 6:37am

Rolling your eyes, you started typing.

Sent to: Unknown Number
From: Y/N
Quit with the pointless messages, you moron. I already instructed you to only contact me regarding our business. And cut out the 'angel' crap, I'm far from it.
sent 6:39am

From: Unknown Number
Aw such a meanie T___T
You're breaking my heart!!!!
sent 6:39am

Sent to: Unknown Number
From: Y/N
As much as I relish the thought of orchestrating your demise, burying you six feet under sans your heart, I suggest you stop these messages unless they pertain to our prior arrangement. Otherwise, consider this number blocked, and our deal null and void."
sent 6:40am