25. THE SPIDERS

In the sprawling junkyard city of Meteor City, a haven for outcasts and the unwanted, fourteen-year-old Feitan Portor crossed paths with a young girl with striking (e/c) eyes and long, dark hair. An immediate dislike flared between them. Feitan, a product of this gritty, chaotic environment, took offense at the girl's apparent disdain for his home. Her clean clothes and demeanor screamed of a life far removed from the harsh realities of Meteor City. Used to fresh air, trees, and well-kept buildings, this place must have seemed like a nightmare to her.

But fate, or perhaps boredom, brought them together. Over time, Feitan found himself softening towards the girl, despite her being half his age. He took it upon himself to help her navigate the labyrinthine alleys, the pungent smells, and the strange customs of the city. In return, he gleaned bits and pieces about her life - a life shrouded in secrecy, though he suspected the truth. She was an assassin, a fact she carefully guarded.

This young woman, forced into a temporary exile by her father, the infamous Silva Zoldyck, was here to understand the underbelly of the world. The harsh lessons of Meteor City were intended to sharpen her skills and broaden her knowledge of the criminal underground. Months passed, and she assimilated into the city's rhythm, observing and learning from its inhabitants.

Feitan wasn't her only encounter. She crossed paths with Machi, a skilled Nen-user who would later become her bitter enemy. There were others too, like Shalnark, all future members of the notorious Phantom Troupe. Unbeknownst to her father, she had forged a tenuous connection with a group that would become infamous for their ruthlessness.

One evening, during a pre-meeting conversation, Chrollo Lucilfer, the enigmatic leader of the Troupe, piqued his interest when Machi mentioned a curious encounter. It had been a month since his offer to her to join the group was politely declined. Machi, catching a glimpse of the girl leaving the building, recognized her instantly â€" the young Zoldyck princess, maskless and vulnerable. The girl she resented. Machi knew she loathed her from the moment she saw her, a symbol of everything she wasn't - wealth, privilege, and a life beyond the city's grimy embrace. She hated the Zoldyck girl.

•••

Two figures weaved through the bustling throng near the colossal Heavens Arena. One, a manipulator with piercing green eyes and a mop of blonde hair, suddenly stopped, his gaze locking onto someone in the distant crowd. A mischievous grin stretched across his face as he called out, not bothering to confirm his suspicion.

"Oi, Y/N-chan! You here too?"

The girl, previously fending off overly enthusiastic tourists in a nearby park, furrowed her brow at the unexpected address. Clad in a pristine white uwagi top with a maroon obi tied around her waist, paired with cycling shorts and practical white shoes, she turned sharply towards the familiar voice. Her surprise was evident as she blinked rapidly, incredulous at the sight before her. These weren't faces you'd expect to encounter during a leisurely stroll â€" Shalnark and another member of the infamous Phantom Troupe.

"Shalnark? What are you doing here?" You managed, your voice a curious mix of surprise and suspicion. The emotionless tone did little to mask the underlying curiosity.

"Just hanging around," Shalnark drawled, a playful glint in his eyes. "Waiting for Machi, actually. She's inside that behemoth," he added, pointing a nonchalant finger towards the Heavens Arena, its imposing structure towering over the city. "You remember Machi, right?"

The mere mention of the name sent a jolt through you. Your pleasant facade faltered, replaced by a grimace.

"Machi? The pink-haired fire starter from Meteor City who nearly ended my life a decade ago? I wouldn't say 'remember' is the right word. More like 'avoid at all costs.'"