TWENTY-FOUR

"What you said back there," I asked. "You meant it?"

Jessie and I stood for a moment at the bottom of the ladder leading up to the storage room. After we had laid together on the blanket for a few minutes, resting and enjoying each other's company in the stillness of that little place, we had cleaned ourselves off as best we could, gotten dressed, and had packed up our gear. Then, after Jessie had given me a gentle kiss, we had left our quiet refuge behind.

She knew what I meant. "I did, Cloud. I love you."

"Jessie..." I swallowed, not sure how to respond. I cared about her, but... I didn't know much about... love. "Glad you feel that way. Makes me, well... happy. It's just... I, uh..."

"It's okay," she smiled. "I understand. I know it's hard for you to say how you feel. Kinda cute, actually. Mostly because I know you really do care about me. Love is... a big thing. So don't feel like you have to say it back right away. Just take your time. I'll wait."

I nodded. "Thanks."

Jessie grinned. "Sure thing! I can see you've got a lot on your mind, a lot to work out. So don't sweat it. But when you do tell me, sooner or later, just remember I said it first!"

"Not gonna forget," I promised. "No way I could."

"Awww, Cloud, aren't you sweet?" she chuckled, hands on her hips. Then she leaned forward a little, held up her finger, and smirked. "You just love making me feel all warm and tingly inside, don't you? And not just with your words, either."

My jaw fell open as I blushed furiously and looked away. "Wha...? I, uh... I mean... I guess so..."

She giggled. "C'mon, SOLDIER boy. Let's go home."

"Right," I agreed. "This way."

"Oh, and Cloud?" she said, wrapping her arms around me. "Thank you. For what you did for me in there. Not just... you know... but also for talking me out of doing... what I almost did."

I held her for a moment. "Sure. You don't need to go it alone. We'll help. Me, Tifa, Lena, and the guys."

Jessie tapped my nose. "Same to you, merc."

"Don't expect me to get all mushy with 'em," I told her.

"Not a chance!" she laughed. Then she grew serious again. "Just... don't tell them about what happened here, okay? What I... tried to do. I don't want to worry them."

I hadn't planned to. "It's our secret."

"Then let me seal those delicious lips of yours with a kiss and we'll be on our way," Jessie winked.

"Gladly," I said, the corner of my mouth curling up.

She didn't waste any time. Her kiss was long, soft, and sweet, with a tantalizing hint of the fierce passion she could unleash. Just enough to remind me of what we'd experienced in the storage room as well as give me a taste of what was ahead of us later. Made my blood sizzle and my heart slam hard against my ribs.

When we were finished, we set out across the underplate. It wasn't far to the duct we'd come in from, but we'd only gone a few steps when I saw something fly toward us out of the corner of my eye. I knew what it was in an instant and flattened Jessie under me just as the rocket flew over us. It was a small missile, and as it smashed into one of the narrow metal beams that supported the platform, I spotted the launcher. It was in a nearby corner in this part of the underplate.

The platform lurched as the beam broke apart, but it held. But as I helped Jessie up, three more missiles came at us, smoke trailing behind them. We dove aside, drawing our weapons in the process while two of the rockets blew apart the railing behind us. The third struck the floor of the platform right where we'd been standing. Jessie managed to take out the launcher with her gun and a raspberry before it could fire at us again, and it exploded in a brilliant fireball.