TWENTY-TWO

We landed in the outskirts, the night gloomy and quiet around us. After Jessie and I had unfastened the parachute and its harness, we left them lying on the ground off to one side of the clearing. She pulled out her phone for a moment and tapped on it.

"Checking something?" I asked.

"Just letting Tifa know we're okay," Jessie explained. "Knowing her, I'm betting she's worried sick about us."

I nodded. "Think the others made it back?"

"They should have by now," she answered. "Barret'll probably give us six kinds of hell when we get there, but that's alright. I could tell him you asked about him. Might just make his day."

"No. Keep it between us."

Jessie giggled. "I get it, SOLDIER boy. Gotta stay cool, right?"

I shrugged. "Something like that."

"Can't fool me, though," she said, planting a soft kiss on my mouth. "I know you were worried about them."

"Maybe," I admitted.

With a wink, Jessie laughed and started down the dirt trail toward Sector 7. I followed her, eyes scanning the shadows as I went, but it was quiet tonight, and we got back to town without a problem. Lights kept the gloom at bay here as a few people still bustled about back and forth along the roads, and soon enough, the Seventh Heaven came into view ahead of us, the outside lamps giving it a cheerful, welcoming feel. And it did feel good to be back. To be home.

When we pushed open the doors, the others were all there waiting for us. They were all sitting at one of the tables, drinks close by as they played cards. Poker, by the look of it. I'd seen them do it before, though I'd never joined in myself. Marlene wasn't in the room, so I figured she was already in bed upstairs. It was close to midnight, after all. As Jessie and I went over to the table, I found her earlier hunch about Barret was right on the money. He frowned up at us.

"'Bout time you two showed up," he grumbled. "Had me... uh, had us... worried there. Tifa shot me a message when we was almost home, let me know you was on the way, but... you guys ever pull some heroic bullshit like that again, I'll smack the both of ya upside your goddamn heads! You two got that?"

I folded my arms in front of me. "No promises."

Jessie just laughed and hugged him. "Good to see you too, Barret. I didn't mean to scare ya."

"Ah, forget it, girl," he patted her arm.

Biggs glanced pointedly at her. "You did get that chip, right? Better not've gone through all that hell for nothin'."

She took it out of her pocket and held it up. "Right here!"

"Good. We barely managed to catch the last train. Headed straight for the station right after you guys got shut in. Good thing, too. They're probably gonna step up security after this."

Wedge blinked. "So what's that mean? We can't use the train?"

"Not 'till we get some new ID's," Biggs answered.

"Gotcha covered!" Jessie smirked, hands on her hips. "I'll get right to work on them tomorrow. Oh, and that reminds me..."

I stared as she looked at me. "What is it?"

Jessie grinned. "I've still gotta make you your extra special ID, too, Cloud! It'll be perfect, you'll see! The best ever!"

"Looking forward to it," I said.

"Awesome!" she exclaimed. "In the meantime, have a seat! It's time to play cards. Poker night!"

I grimaced. "Not interested."