FOURTEEN

"Hi, guys!"

I smiled as Biggs and Wedge came into the bar, messing with each other the way they always did. The food was already on the table, and I was just wiping down the counter while Marlene stood nearby. She ran over and practically jumped into Biggs' arms, just a bundle of giggles. I laughed myself, it was so cute. After he had hugged her back, he gently put her down, and she promptly let Wedge scoop her up next. After he had greeted her, he set her on her feet and went with Biggs to the table, an eager grin on his face.

He gave me a thumbs up. "Looks great, Tifa! Thanks!"

"Anytime, Wedge," I shot him a thumbs up of my own. "You know there's always plenty for you."

"Let's get to it!" Biggs chuckled. "And don't forget the drinks!"

I winked. "Already on it!"

Jessie came in while I was bringing the guys their beers. She was all smiles, which wasn't really unusual for her, but there seemed to be a bit more to it this time than just her typical cheerfulness. She waved to the others, wrapped Marlene in a big hug, then walked over to the bar and sat down, her hand drifting almost unconsciously to something tucked under one of the shoulder straps of her armored vest. I had to blink to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

"What's that?" Marlene wondered, her eyes wide.

Jessie laughed softly. "It's a flower, Marlene. Pretty, isn't it?"

I gazed at it as I made her a drink. "It really is, Jessie. And it's a rare sight down in the slums. Or anywhere in Midgar, actually. They're just about impossible to find anymore. I'd love to know where you got it. I'd fill this whole place with flowers if I could."

"I'll bet," Jessie agreed. "As for where I got it, well..."

"C'mon, Jessie, tell us!" Marlene begged.

She went on, smiling fondly. "Cloud gave it to me."

My jaw dropped. "Cloud?"

"Yeah..." Jessie said. "He had it on him when he met up with us on the train. Never told me where he found it, though."

"I see... well, that was really nice of him."

I handed Jessie her drink, not really sure what to feel at first. While part of me wished he had given me the flower instead, I was also really happy for Jessie and marveled at the effect she seemed to be having on Cloud's typically distant demeanor. And I wondered if she didn't have a better chance of keeping him here than I did. But as long as he did stay, it didn't matter to me who convinced him.

Jessie sighed. "Tifa, I never got to tell you before, but..."

Just then, the double doors opened again and Marlene raced across the floor toward them. "Daddy!"

But it wasn't Barret that had entered the bar. Marlene skidded to a stop just in front of Cloud, her brown eyes wide as she stared up at him in surprise. He looked as stunned as she felt as he just stood there with his mouth hanging slightly open, completely at a loss for words. After a moment, Marlene ran off into the kitchen. I shared a laugh with Jessie, then went over and took Marlene by the hand.

"Won't you say something to Cloud, Marlene?" I asked.

She nibbled anxiously on her finger as I led her over to him. Cloud looked at me and then her, obviously unsure of himself and of what to do. He'd seen Marlene around before but had never really tried talking with her. Of course, that hadn't surprised me. He didn't have too much experience with kids. Marlene took another look at him, let out a little gasp, and ducked behind me. I smiled at her for a moment and ruffled her hair a little bit. Then I glanced back at Cloud.