THIRTY-SIX

"Cloud!?" I gasped.

I happened to glance toward the park just as the carriage rolled by it, and my breath caught in my throat when I saw him. He bolted after me when his eyes met mine, and I turned around to look behind me as he tried to catch up. The carriage wasn't going very fast, so in just a few seconds, he was there, his blue eyes wide as he followed me along with a brown-haired girl in a pink dress.

Relief flooded through me. "You're alive! I mean, I was so sure you were, but still... I'm so glad to see you!"

"Same here, Tif," he said. "Did everyone get back okay?"

"Yeah, safe and sound," I told him.

He nodded. "Good. So what's going on here?"

"I'm on my way to Wall Market to meet Don Corneo," I answered. "I know how it sounds, but I've got my reasons. I'll explain later, okay? In the meantime, you ought to head back to Seventh Heaven and check in with the others. Jessie's worried about you."

"Do they know you're doing this?" he wondered.

I chuckled. "They helped me get ready for it! Jessie especially. She's the one that got me all made up."

He frowned. "I don't like this, Tif."

"Didn't think you would," I smirked. "But you know how much ass I can kick. I'll be fine, Cloud. So just go on back to the bar and wait for me, okay? I'll come back when it's all over."

"Alright," he sighed.

I gave him an encouraging smile as he slowed down and came to a stop. The girl he was with didn't seem to like that, but there wasn't any helping it. If something happened back home while I was gone, I'd feel better knowing Cloud was there to help everyone.

Jessie would be thrilled to see him come back, and I knew it would do wonders for her spirits. I hoped she and Barret were working things out like I'd asked, but if he was still being stubborn, Cloud would surely set him straight once he found out what was going on. I didn't have any doubt about that. In the meantime, I had a mission to finish. I sat back down and took a deep breath to settle my nerves as the carriage slowly approached the outskirts of Wall Market.

— — — — — — —

"Just where do you think you're going?" Aerith demanded.

I stopped short as she suddenly darted in front of me, blocking my way to the gate with her arms stretched out to either side of her. Green eyes grabbed me and held me as fast as the frown on her face. I tried to move past her, but she got in front of me again. Behind her, the gate to Sector 7 was slowly closing with a grinding of metal, and in only a few seconds, my clear path home would be gone.

I tried to go around her again. "Home. You heard her."

"No, Cloud!" she insisted, quickly blocking me again. "You're going after her. Now. That was Tifa, your friend. And she looked like she was in trouble. So we're gonna help her."

"She can handle the likes of Corneo," I said.

Aerith shook her head. "No, no, no! You don't know what he's like. I've heard stories about him. No matter how strong or smart you think you are, he can use it against you. Tifa's going right into his mansion, a place full of his flunkies. Aren't you worried about what might happen in there? Most women who go into the Don's mansion never come out again. Only one's ever done it as far as I know."

I sighed as the gate closed. "Guess you've got a point."

"You bet I do!" she giggled, finally lowering her arms. "First rule of the slums, Cloud—always listen to Aerith!"