FORTY-THREE

I was almost to the outskirts when Jessie caught up to me, fallin' in alongside me as we hurried toward the pillar. It loomed ahead of us, an' even from here, I could see the fight had already started. Bright, quick orange flashes lit the night all through the lower floors. It was gunfire, the shots ringin' out across the slums along with shoutin' and screamin' as folks on both sides got hurt an' killed.

"It's started, hasn't it?" Jessie grimaced. "Damn..."

I knew how she felt. "You get done what you needed to?"

She nodded. "Yeah. I just hope it makes a difference somehow. Are Biggs and Wedge in there?"

"Oughta be," I said. "Saw 'em on the way, gatherin' up the watch, so I sent 'em on ahead. Looks like Shinra got there before us, though. This is gonna get ugly, Jessie. Bad as I ever seen."

"I know," she sighed.

The sound of them Shinra choppers flyin' high above us an' circlin' the pillar filled our ears when we got there. They spat bullets at all our people inside, cuttin' 'em down left an' right, an' I felt rage in my gut at what was goin' on. I was jus' 'bout to enter the gate when I realized that Jessie had stopped and was jus' standin' there.

I looked at her. "Jessie?"

She was gazin' up at the pillar. "A few jitters, Barret. That's all. I feel strange... knowing what's coming. I mean... I've put my life on the line before, but... this is different."

"You sayin' you wanna stay behind?" I asked.

"I promised Cloud I wouldn't go in there," she explained.

Before I could think better of it, I pointed my gun-arm at her. "You best not back out on me, girl. Not now. People are fightin' and dyin' for you an' me an' everyone else here."

She stared at me. "Barret, that's not what I—"

"If you sold us out..." I growled. "You gonna regret it."

"Is that what you think?" Jessie snapped. "That I'd do some terrible shit like that to you? To my friends?"

I kept my aim on her. "Dunno what to think, Jessie. You found this plan, then went outta sight to do somethin' you won't tell me 'bout jus' as we head out. An' now, you flakin' out on me right before we 'bout to get into the fight ourselves. Like you don't wanna be in there 'cause you know somethin'. Suspicious as hell to me, girl."

Jessie didn't flinch. "I thought you knew me better than that. And I really am sorry I didn't tell you I used to work for Shinra. But you have to know that I'd never turn on you, never do anything to hurt you. Not ever. I couldn't. I have my reasons, Barret, and someday, I hope I'll find the words to tell you why. Until then, if this is the only way I can prove myself to you, then I'll do it, and gladly."

That said, she turned an' hurried toward the pillar, drawin' her gun on the way. More folks from the watch was crowded 'round the base of the stairs, but they made way for us when we got there. I sent a handful of 'em to start movin' people out and gettin' 'em to safety, then climbed up the steps with Jessie to make that longass climb to the platform. An' we'd have to fight our way there, sure enough.

— — — — — — —

"Mr. Mayor," I said, stepping into his office. "I assume you've heard by now what's happening in Sector 7."

He nodded. "I have, Director. Terrible, just terrible..."

Domino sighed, leaning back in his chair as I sat on the other side of his desk. Behind him, an array of monitors showed activity all across the Shinra Building. The upper floors, mostly. He'd always kept a close eye on things, using his role as Shinra's puppet to throw off suspicion. I admired his cunning even while I found his odder aspects amusing. He was a good friend and my last hope right now.