EIGHTEEN

"Yes!" Biggs pumped his fist.

I watched in satisfaction as Jessie pulled off the win that I'd known she would, dropping under Tifa's punch to hit her with one of her own, her legs wide apart, followed by a kick that sent Tifa sprawling onto the ground. She'd explained the rules to me before, so I knew what landing in the dirt a third time meant the instant it happened.

"Whoa..." Wedge gaped in disbelief. "I don't believe it..."

Barret grinned. "Well, call me a chocobo's feathered ass! She did it! Guess she proved us wrong after all."

"Damn right she did!" Biggs chuckled.

"Yay! Jessie!" Marlene clapped.

A moment later, the girls were standing together, embracing. Then they both looked at me. I nodded to them, and after exchanging a final word or two with Tifa, Jessie ran toward us as the locals who were still here cheered around her and called her name. There were more than a few of them, still a good-sized crowd. And Jessie was loving it, smiling from ear to ear the whole time.

She wasn't slowing down either. My eyes widened as she got closer, and I had just enough time to hand the box with the vase in it to Biggs before Jessie leaped into my arms, wrapping her legs firmly around my waist and draping her hands around my neck and shoulders. I fell back a few steps from the impact when I caught her, my eyes locked on hers, but kept my balance as I held onto her.

Then I simply forgot how to think for a while as Jessie reached up, grabbed hold of my face in both hands, and pulled me to her, covering my mouth with hers in a kiss that sent shockwaves sizzling through my brain and threw my heart into overdrive. Cheers erupted all around us, but I was hardly aware of it as her lips touched mine.

I didn't respond at first, so stunned by what she'd just done I could barely get a grasp on what was happening. But after a moment, I let my eyes slide closed and returned Jessie's kiss. A bit awkwardly at first, as I hadn't ever done it before. But she didn't seem to mind, and I could feel her smiling as I pressed my mouth firmly against hers, forgetting for a moment about everything else.

When Jessie finally pulled away, I just looked at her, not really sure what to say yet. I was struggling to get some kind of grasp on my mind, which she'd just blown wide open. The kiss was more than great. It was incredible, enough to completely fry my brain for at least a good thirty seconds, and it took a moment for it to sink in that she'd kissed me. My lips tingled at the thought of it.

Jessie smiled. "How'd you like that, merc?"

"Not sure," I said, trying to play it cool in the midst of the dizzying whirlwind of emotions swirling through my racing heart, a tornado of happiness, surprise, wonder, and affection. "Need to do more testing to find out. A lot more."

"Oh, I think I can arrange that," she winked.

"Hell of a show, Jessie!" Biggs laughed. "During and after the fight. Can't wait for the encore."

She giggled. "You and Tifa can take care of that, Biggs."

"Uh... nevermind," he looked away.

"She's gotcha there," Wedge said. He gave Jessie a thumbs up. "Way to go, Jessie! Good job out there!"

Jessie shot him one of her own. "Thanks, Wedge!"

Biggs held a hand out toward him. "Speaking of which, time to pay up, buddy. Five hundred gil."

"You guys were making bets?" Jessie stared.

"Yep! Sure did! Barret and Wedge figured Tifa would win. Not me and Cloud, though. We put it all on you!"