THIRTY-FOUR

The dress was a deep and rich blue, backless and trimmed in black with a short skirt that would go to almost halfway down my thighs. As I looked at it and felt the soft satin between my fingers, I smiled a little. This would do nicely. I took it off the rack, then stepped over to one of the mirrors in the little store and held it against me.

"Jessie?" I asked. "What do you think?"

She came over and grinned. "It's perfect! You'll look like dynamite in that dress, Tifa."

I had to agree. "Thanks. I think it's a keeper!"

Now all I needed were the shoes. Fortunately, the store had a fairly nice selection. It didn't take long for me to find a pair of heels to match the dress, and while I was trying them on, Jessie brought over a choker made of black silk as a finishing touch. I smiled my approval after I got a good look at it and myself in the mirror. After paying for everything, I walked outside with Jessie toward the bar.

"All that's left now is to get dressed and made up," I said. "And then wait for the carriage to come get me."

Jessie nodded. "That'll give us a couple hours, at least."

I smirked. "Right. It should be enough for you to work your magic on me. Think you can turn me into a star?"

"Oh, you bet!" she giggled. "Just you wait, Tifa."

We were almost to the bar when I spotted Derla lurking across the street watching the place. Probably hoping for another scoop. I handed the shopping bags to Jessie when we reached the base of the stairs, and when she saw what I was looking at, she understood. She frowned, not liking Derla any more than I did.

"Jessie, go on inside," I said. "I'll meet you upstairs."

She didn't argue. "Will do. See you there."

While she headed into the bar, I stormed across the street to where Derla was. When she saw me coming, her eyes went wide and she tried to run, but I caught before she could go more than few steps. I grabbed her by the shoulders, dragged her around the corner into a narrow side street, and slammed her against the wall.

"Tifa! What—?" she started.

"Shut up!" I growled. "I thought I told you to keep your big mouth shut! What's the matter with you!?"

She stared at me. "What do you mean?"

I tightened my grip on her. "Those men you were talking to earlier today. Know who they were?"

"No, I just—" she sputtered.

"You just wanted to gossip and blab like you always do!" I snapped. "We've had this little talk before, Derla. More than once. But this time, you've crossed the line. And I am not happy."

Derla blinked. "I don't understand. What'd I do wrong?"

I glared at her. "Those were Don Corneo's men. Aside from being a snoop and a nosy gossip, you told them things you shouldn't have. Not that half of it's even true, but it got them looking where we didn't want them to. We don't need that kind of attention."

"I knew it!" she huffed. "You guys are up to something!"

My eyes narrowed. "Enough! Don't you realize what you've done!? You may have just put everyone here in danger! All for a lousy stack of gil and a chance to flap your damn lips!"

Derla backed into the wall. "It can't be that bad..."

"It is," I told her, my voice laced with steel. "And if anyone gets hurt because of what you've done, I will personally take it out of your sorry little hide the first chance I get! Understand?"