THIRTY-NINE

I was heading back to Madam M's massage parlor when I noticed a commotion going on down the street ahead of me. A cluster of people was crowded all around the area looking at something or someone, but from where I was, I couldn't tell what had gotten them all so interested. Then I saw Johnny coming toward me, shooing aside the onlookers as someone followed closely behind him.

"Cloud!" he called. "Glad I caught ya. Look who's here!"

I stared as he stepped aside. "Aerith?"

It was her. She was wearing a strapless red silk dress and heels, and her hair had been undone from its usual braid and hung loosely down her back aside from her long bangs. Her pink ribbon was still fastened in the back, though, with that strange whitish-green materia of hers in the middle. Aerith also had a pair of red high heels on her feet, and her lips glistened with matching lipstick.

"Hi there," she said.

I nodded. "Hey. That's really..."

Aerith laughed. "I know. Corneo's got certain... tastes. The way he likes his girls to look. But this thing's so hard to move around in. Kinda gaudy, too. Or maybe I'm just not used to it."

"Right," I agreed.

"So?" she put her hands on her hips. "How do I look?"

I blinked. "Uh... nice."

Aerith shook her head hopelessly. "Well, you're a lot of fun, Cloud. You should've said something sweet like, 'you look beautiful, Aerith' or maybe even 'you're really hot in that dress.' Haven't you ever told Jessie how great she looks before?"

"A little," I admitted. "But not often."

She chuckled. "Obviously. Better keep practicing."

I shrugged. "Whatever. So, Johnny, I thought you were heading off to see Sandra. The girl from the bar?"

"I was," he said. "But I ran into Aerith on the way there. She was on her way to see you after leaving Madam M's place, so I went ahead and brought her back here so she wouldn't get lost."

"Thanks for the escort," she flashed him a smile.

Johnny did a low, sweeping bow. "No problem, Aerith! Always glad to help out a pretty lady."

She winked at me. "See! That's how you do it!"

"I guess so," I said.

"Well, this is it for me," Johnny grinned. "I'm off to see Sandra now. And I'm really glad you two are looking out for Tifa. So break her outta Corneo's den of debauchery, alright?"

Aerith nodded. "We will, Johnny. And good luck!"

With a jaunty little wave, he hurried away as I gave the small crowd that had gathered around us a hard stare. They dispersed quickly after that with hushed murmurs as I pointedly ignored Aerith's disapproving frown. No sense having people gawking at her like that, even if she did like the unexpected attention she was getting.

"So what now?" I said.

"Now it's your turn to get all prettied up, Cloud," Aerith giggled. "I can't wait to see how it turns out!"

I sighed. "Better head over to Gant's, then."

"Yep! And after you get changed, it's back to the Honeybee Inn we go! Madam M sent word to Andrea about us while you were gone, and he's interested in having a meeting. You'll need to impress him, though, to earn that letter of approval. I've already got one from Madam M. But I'm sure you can win him over, Cloud."

"How?" I wondered.

She shrugged. "Dunno. But it's sure to be fun!"

Laughing excitedly, Aerith led the way back to Gant's shop. I'd been able to avoid thinking too much about this part of the plan while doing all the different tasks to get ready for it, but now that it was time for me to actually change into my disguise—I pointedly avoided thinking of it as anything else—I found I wasn't looking forward to it. I didn't have a choice if I wanted to save Tifa, though.