FORTY-SEVEN

I was sitting behind the bar with my arms around me when I heard the doors open. It was so loud outside, and I thought I smelled smoke. But Daddy had told me to stay here, so that's what I was doing. When I heard some footsteps walking across the floor, I stood up on my tiptoes and looked over the counter to see who it was.

It was a lady in a pink dress about the same age as Jessie. She had a nice long braid tied with a pink ribbon, and I really liked it. I thought it looked really pretty and that maybe I might have mine like that when I got older. But I still didn't know who she was. Then she noticed me as I was looking at her, and she smiled.

"Ah! You must be Marlene," she said.

I didn't move. "Who are you? Daddy said not to talk to strangers. I don't know who you are."

The lady nodded. "That's some good advice. But you don't need to worry. Tifa sent me. And Cloud."

"Where are they?" I wondered. "With Daddy?"

"You mean Barret?" she said. "They're helping him, sweetie."

I blinked. "He's not coming home?"

The lady shook her head. "Not yet. That's why I'm here. This place isn't safe right now, so I promised Tifa that I'd take you somewhere that is. And that's just what I'm gonna do."

"Are we gonna lose our home?" I shivered.

"I know it's hard," she said, walking up to the bar. "But it'll all work out in the end. You're still gonna have your daddy, and you can build a new home together. So, are you ready to go?"

I was afraid, but the lady was so nice, too. I didn't know what to do at first, but slowly, I walked around the bar until I stood in front of her. She smiled at me again, and her eyes were green. Then she knelt down in front of me and held out her hand. I had a finger in my mouth, but I pulled it out and shyly reached out to her. The lady held my hand, and I started to feel a little better.

We were just on our way toward the door when I stopped and went back to the bar. Jessie's flower was there in its pretty vase, and I wanted to keep it safe for her. So I carefully picked it up and went back over to the lady. I carried it in both hands as we started walking again, and as I did, I looked up at her and hoped it was okay.

"Can I take this with us?" I asked.

She grinned. "Of course! You know, I sold Cloud that flower. For a big discount, too! Because he was so nice to me. But don't tell him that, okay? It'll be our little secret."

I giggled. "Okay! And, um... what's your name?"

"Aerith," she answered. "That's Jessie's flower, isn't it?"

I nodded. "Yeah. Cloud gave it to her. And she even let me water it for her! Is she gonna be okay, Aerith?"

"She will if Cloud has anything to say about it," she winked.

"I think he likes her," I said. "He gave her this vase."

Aerith led me to the door. "Did he now? I'm sure he does, Marlene. Now we'd better go, okay? Just stay close to me."

I did as she said. "You smell nice."

"Oh?" she wondered.

"Like... Jessie's flower," I told her.

Aerith laughed. "We'll grow a whole lot of them at your new home, as many as you want. You can help, too!"

I smiled. "Yay! I can't wait!"

When we opened the door and went outside, I gasped and stepped a little closer to her. There was fire everywhere, and smoke. I shook my head, wanting to be brave and strong like Tifa and Jessie and not cry. It was scary, though. I wished Daddy was there.