THIRTY-EIGHT

"Jules, head trainer," he held out his hand.

After a moment, I took it. "Cloud."

He was tall and muscular, with a gray and red lycra shirt and black leather shorts. Tall, black leather boots with white laces covered his feet and went up to shins, and he also wore a pair of black knee guards and wristbands. His shoulder-length brown hair was held back with a black bandana, and his face was decorated with makeup.

Jules smiled. "So you wanna be cute, eh?"

"Cute?" I blinked.

"Yeah, he's the one," Aerith cut in, giggling. "Gant said you've got a wig for us, right? We could really use it."

We were in the gym, a wide, low building filled with men, women, and all kinds of fitness equipment. There was even a boxing ring off to one side. Exercise bikes, punching bags, and a few treadmills lined the walls along with various weights and other gear.

Jules nodded. "So I've heard. He filled me in on your situation. But if you want it, you'll have to earn it."

"How?" I asked.

"The traditional way, of course," he said. "A squat-off."

Aerith glanced at me. "Squats?"

"A kind of exercise," I explained. "Bending down and straightening up again while swinging your arms. Did 'em all the time when I was in SOLDIER. Not a bad way to work out."

Jules laughed. "Exactly! Head on into the ring, Cloud."

"Good luck!" Aerith said.

As I went inside, Jules motioned to a burly guy who had weights in his hands. "Ronnie! Over here!"

Ronnie put his weights down. "What's up, Jules?"

He was huge and dark-skinned, with a white tank top and shorts as well as a pair of wristbands. Ronnie's legs were like tree trunks, and his muscles bulged. Obviously he spent a lot of time here, and although he wasn't quite as big as Barret, he was big enough.

"Think you're up for a challenge?" Jules asked. "Go join our friend in the ring. It's time for some squats."

Ronnie snorted when he saw me. "A challenge, Jules? You serious? This guy's built like a twig! I could snap him in two with my eyes shut. He's just a scrawny little thing."

I folded my arms in front of me. "Just get over here."

"This'll be easy!" he smirked as he stepped into the ring. "You don't have a clue what you're getting yourself into, little man. They don't call me the Big Bro for nothing!"

"Now, now," Jules told him. "Don't go judging our new friend here by his muscle mass. You know how you get, Ronnie. Focus, remember? And don't get overconfident again."

Aerith smiled encouragingly. "You can do it, Cloud! Um... so what are the rules, anyway?"

Jules held up a stopwatch. "It's pretty simple, really. Whoever does the most squats in thirty seconds is the winner. Ronnie's really good at it, but I've got a feeling your friend is, too. And if he wins, the wig is all yours. So good luck to you. Ready, guys?"

I nodded. "Ready."

"Gonna wreck this guy!" Ronnie snickered.

"Go!" Jules started the watch.

It wasn't even a contest. Ronnie was big but not fast, and he slipped up a few times because he got himself distracted trying to keep up with me instead of concentrating on what he was supposed to be doing. So I beat him easily, never breaking my rhythm even once, and I was barely even sweating by the time it was over.