7

"Shut the hatch." My dad spoke as I dropped down into the Rover. My feet soft as I stood and yanked the gunner hatch shut, clicking the lock in place as I did the same to the back door. Then turning to face the other four people in the vehicle.

"Stay on guard. There are at least four people on either side of the Rover. It was too dark for me to see much."

"Now, we wait." I sighed and nodded my head in agreement, sitting down next to Indra as she moved to make room for me on the seat.

"Now we wait."

_______•*•*•*•_______

"It's been three hours. What are they waiting for?" I went to nudge Bellamy with my foot but decided against it.

"Even with the light. I don't see anyone." I looked at m my dad who continued to peer out of the slight slits in the metal.

"They wouldn't abandon the Rover. Clearly they want something, and were able to track us here." I had been running through how they got here before us and all that was running through my mind was straight luck and banditry.

"I say we make a run for it." Monty was antsy. He wanted to be back in Arkadia and I felt bad for having roped him into this.

"No. That's what they want us to do."

"The boy's right. They can wait longer than we can." Indra and I shared a glance and I knew she wanted to get out of this metal death trap. After a few moments my dad caved. Indra's logic clearly persuasive.

"Okay, Bellamy. You get in the turret and cover us. Once we get to that ridge over there, we'll cover you."

"Copy that. Run fast." Just before Bellamy opened the gunner hatch I adjusted the plan slightly.

"You three go first. Bellamy and I will cover, then Bellamy will go and I'll bring up the rear."

"No, tha-"

"Bellamy, listen to the logic. With both of us covering the three of them can get to the ridge safer. And as I'm faster than you, I'll end up getting there first anyways."

"Pers-"

"Persphyni," I turned to my dad as he interrupted Bellamy's protest, "you two protect each other."

"Roger that." Bellamy sighed but didn't argue as he slid open the hatch. I watched carefully as he tensed up. Something was happening.

"They're here." Shit.

"Everybody out, or the boy dies." Double shit. I watched as Bellamy was lifted out of the Rover, my eyes widened at the motion. Whoever did that clearly went to the gym seven times a week.

"Okay! Okay, we're coming out." I sheathed my daggers leaving all of my weapons in their holsters as the other three dropped theirs. Just as my dad went to unlock the door I made him stop momentarily.

"Wait." I whispered, moving quietly to the front and sliding into the driver seat.

"Don't hurt him!" My father continued the dialogue to give me some time. Once I was there I slid further until I was crouching and couldn't easily be seen.

"Nau." I heard the click of the lock being opened and I pushed even further into the floorboards. But that didn't help. I watched as the driver side door was thrown open and I didn't hesitate as I made eye contact with the masked man.

Silently I tackled the man, the harsh thud of us crashing to the ground alerted the other few people standing around. Slamming my fist once into the man's face I got off of him and turned, ready as two more people came to contain me.

I kicked the taller one in his knee, ducking and shoving him in the chest as he went off balance. The shorter of the two came a little slower, but still as aggressive. Swiping his punch away, I sent a kick straight to his chest that sent him flying into the side of the Rover. I eyed the masked faces suspiciously. These were not grounders.

"Pers." My head shot to my father as he nodded his head in Bellamy's direction. My jaw clenched as I put my hands up in the air and dropped to my knees. My eyes never leaving the man holding his blade to the skin of Bellamy's throat. If there was so much as a mark, I'd rip him to shreds.

My eyes never left the man's as two sets of hands yanked my hands behind my back and forced me to the ground. They wouldn't leave until the blade was removed from Bellamy's neck.

"All targets secure." That was definitely not a grounder voice. I shifted my gaze as Monty was forced to a stand. My body tensing as I watched one of the men grab ahold of the tracking beacon and yank it from Monty.

"It's mine! Give it back!"

"Monty."

"Monty," Bellamy and I both called to calm the boy. "Let it go!" I looked back to Bellamy and more specifically the blade held at his throat.

"Monty?" The woman voice from before asked.

"Mom?" I shook my head at the coincidence and set my forehead on the ground listening as the two embraced.

"Farm station stand down." I heard shifting in front of me, but I was still held on the ground making me smirk.

"You have no idea how good it is to see you." The same voice said again. The leader was the same one who yanked Bellamy from the Rover.

I turned my head slowly and looked up at the man who had my arms still pinned behind my back.

"I'll let you get off." I saw his eyebrow raise as he scanned my face. "Or don't. Your choice." The man was smart as he got off in no time allowing me to stand up and stretch my shoulders.

"We didn't think you made it." I watched the exchange between my dad and the darker skinned man.

"Lacroix, Smith, watch our six!"

"Yes, sir." The two men I am assuming were pinning me down walked out to watch the woods.

"Everyone else, I said stand down." I went to Indra first, helping her off the floor. But once she was up my gaze was directed towards Bellamy as the man finally took his sword from his neck.

"Grounder-killers one and all. Am I right?" A march-cry was emitted by farm station at his question. I felt myself step in front of Indra slightly as I eyed the rest of the hooded and masked figures carefully.

My gaze being directed back to my father, the farm station leader, and a smiling Bellamy. Clearly Indra and myself were the odd ones out.

"Okay. Move the tree." I turned to Indra and gave a nod as I walked over to the tree. Bellamy right behind me.

"Help them." I needed to figure out who this guy was, and fast.