30

I had the letter grasped in my hands. A smile on my face as I raced through Arkadia. One destination on my mind as I exited the sunlight and entered the metal halls. My soft thudding of boots filled the air as I passed people walking out and in.

"Whoa, easy there." I laughed and moved around the mother who had pulled her kid from the floor, he had just fallen down clumsily with a smile. Turning down the next corridor as my feet followed the path I had taken many times.

"Watch where you're running!" I rolled my eyes and called over my shoulder, still running.

"Sorry, Wick! Let Sinclair know that you messed the whole thing up by yourself, I was merely passing through!" I heard Wick's scoff just as I turned down another corridor. My destination close at hand.

"You look happy." I beamed over at Octavia and Lincoln as they stood outside their door, watching me with raised eyebrows.

"I've got a letter from the all-mighty Heda, of course I am!" I shouted as I continued passed them. "One step closer to getting Lincoln's order lifted!"

"If anyone can do it, it'll be you." I laughed as I continued running, turning around to face them as I back peddled.

"Love the confidence Lincoln." He rolled his eyes and wrapped his arm around Octavia's waist.

"You heading to see my brother?" I smirked and slowed down a bit.

"Was it that obvious?"

"You're beaming like a love struck idiot." I rolled my eyes and flipped her the bird.

"The only face I've seen that on is the two of you!" I shouted as I turned back around. "Use protection!" I was cackling as I turned down the second to last hallway. Their groans of disbelief echoed as I continued forward.

I passed Monty and Harper, giving the two of them a wave and a wink as I noticed the small mark on the former's neck. Then I passed my dad and Abby as they spoke in the hallway most likely headed to or from the Chancellor's office. And then finally I ran into Raven. Like literally ran into her.

I caught her just before she could fall but the damage had been done. I heard the hiss of pain as she tried to straighten out her leg, but I could see the pain she tried to hide.

"Raven?" She shook her head and bit her lip before sending me a smile.

"Didn't realize I liked you that much." I rolled my eyes at her horrible joke.

"Neither did I, I've never had someone fall for me." This time she rolled her eyes and gave me a shove.

"That's a lie and we both know it." I rose my hand and crossed over my heart.

"Scouts honor." She rolled her eyes and motioned with her head for me to get lost.

"Go get him." I beamed and gave her a quick hug before continuing to run. Her small sniffle was quiet but I still heard it as I left the hallway and slowed down as I entered the one I had been headed towards all along.

With a smile on my face I breathed in deeply. The run finally catching up to me as I felt winded. I wiped my forehead and tightened my ponytail. The tight grip I had on the letter had wrinkled a part of the material but it would be alright.

I stopped dead center of the door as I paused for a moment to gather myself. Finally, once I felt I was ready, I took a step closer and got ready to knock. Ready to tell him. Only for my fist to fall short and my smile to fall into pieces. My heart threatened to do the same, but I quickly rebuilt my defenses as I stared at the door.

The door that concealed the two people wrapped up in each other's arms.

I held the letter in two hands as I took small steps back until I was in the middle of the hallway, my eyes still glued to the door. My eyes that held back tears as I forced a smile.

This is what I wanted. But why did it hurt so bad.

I shook the thought away and headed down the hallway further to take the long route back to my own room that was nearly completely on the other side of the Ark.

I didn't pass anyone as I walked slowly. The image of the door and the sound that filtered through it repeated. Over and over, like a bad song I couldn't get out of my head.

I wasn't sure how long I had stood outside my own door, but when I finally came back to the real world I found my hand hovering over the handle of the door as the letter was clutched tight in my other. Robotically, I unlocked the door and slipped through. Physically shutting it as I leaned my head on the cool metal.

With a blink, a single tear slipped from my eye. And I let it. I let it fall for the sake of my heart that I wouldn't allow to break.

The single tear set me in motion. I grabbed a few items of clothing, enough for four days in case I was delayed in Polis, then tidied up my room before grabbing my pack I had stolen from Mount Weather and heading out towards the gates.

"I'll be back in three days. Hopefully." I pulled away from Raven's hug as I looked at the group.

"Hold down the fort while I'm gone, I hope to see warriors out of those lot when I get back." Lincoln chuckled and gave me a nod as Harper and Monroe rolled their eyes.

"Okay." I sighed and turned towards the gate. "Open the gate!" I yelled to the watchers who made quick work of opening the metal up.

With a small smile on my face, I pulled out the letter to read the map on the back and began my journey. I'd be meeting the escorts at their camp in the woods. Only turning around once as the doors began to close and see the only person missing from my send off standing and watching as the metal ends began to reach each other.

"I'll see you soon, B—"

_______•*•*•*•_______

I woke from the flashback. The surface I had been laying on was hard and cold as I shot my upper body up. My mind returning to the now as I felt dizzy and lightheaded. One word on my lips as I came to the present.

"Bellamy."