The Runaway Bride Pt. 2

Zana knew something was off the second she stepped into her home.

The house was eerily quiet, which she usually wouldn't take any note of. There was never much noise, as both her parents were very busy people and hardly ever home during the day, but it was Christmas. They should be here.

"Mum?" Zana kicked off her shoes by the front door before walking towards the kitchen. "Dad? Anyone home?"

Her eyes wandered around aimlessly as she awaited a response, but there wasn't one. She was just beginning to feel a sense of dread when the front door opened and the sound of her parents' laughter filled her head.

"Zana!" Carlisle Kline greeted warmly as he pulled off his winter coat and hung it next to the front door. "How long have you been here?"

"I just got here," she chuckled as her father pulled her into a tight and welcoming embrace. "I asked the Doctor to bring me."

"And where is the Doctor?" Her dad pulled away and gave Zana a look of uncertainty.

"He's off helping a friend," she answered simply enough as she turned to her awaiting mother. "Hi, Mum."

Cynthia Kline stepped forward and wordlessly hugged her daughter, holding her as tight as she could without restricting her airflow. She hadn't seen her since the Battle.

"Mum..." Zana smiled.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. Really," she pulled out of the embrace and gave her mum an assuring smile. "It's taking some getting used to, having lost..."

It was Cynthia's turn to offer a comforting smile as she studied her daughter's face.

She looked exhausted. She looked older.

"Anyway, enough about that," Carlisle stepped past the two women. "I'll be right back, this requires champagne!"

Both Zana and her mum laughed as they watched him disappear into the kitchen. They stood there in silence for a few moments before Zana remembered why exactly she came home. She needed to know what was happening at H.C. Clements. She needed to know what was happening to Donna. Something inside of her that she couldn't explain just kept telling her that her mother, in some way, was involved. She had to be.

"Mum, can we talk?" She turned to face her. "It's about your job."

"Of course, honey," her mum nodded and started walking towards her office, which was up the stairs. Zana quickly followed after her. "What is it you want to know?"

Zana watched as her mother walked around her desk and took a seat. In some odd way, it felt like she was seeing her mother for the first very time. It was like she had flipped a switch and was no longer her mother, but instead solely the Head Scientific Advisor for Torchwood.

"The Doctor and I," Zana shook her thoughts from her head and took the seat opposite of Cynthia. "We were in the TARDIS today, saying goodbye to..." she paused and let out a sigh before continuing. "Anyway, it was just the two of us. It's only been the two of us for two weeks now, Mum. Then out of nowhere this woman just...appeared. It was like...she was pulled in by something."

Cynthia frowned as she listened, "And what exactly does this have to do with me? Or Torchwood?"

"My whole life you lied to me and told me you worked for some locksmith company called H.C. Clements. You told me that for eighteen years and now it means something," Zana leaned forward in her chair, "Donna works there too, Mum. She's just a temp, she obviously isn't a part of any secret underground organization."