The Runaway Bride

Any kind of optimism Zana might have heralded the night of her best friend's untimely departure from the TARDIS seemed to fade by the time she awoke the next morning. She felt a tight knot in her chest the second her eyes opened and it nearly took all the air from her lungs. Her throat was scratchy and raw from her night of tears and sobs. Her sheets were on her floor, as she had thrashed around in her sleep. She was miserable. She felt no joy in the spaceship she called home. Without Rose, she wasn't sure if the TARDIS could ever feel like home again.

The only reason the mourning companion pulled herself out of bed was the constant thought that, if she was this distraught about the sacrifice made by her beautiful friend, then the Time Lord the two of them called a best friend must be absolutely and utterly inconsolable.

The brunette teenager, who had only just celebrated her nineteenth birthday on Mars not too long ago with her two friends, stood before the mirror in her bathroom, studying her features. Her hair fell past her shoulders in braids, which had become matted from the night of unrest. Her eyes were red and swollen, while her cheeks bore the stains of the tears she shed. Sadness never looked good on Zana, but unfortunately, she was rather familiar with the reflection before her. Yet this sadness was different. It was deeper than she had ever felt. It was unbearable.

How would her life ever be the same without Rose Tyler?

~*~*~*~

The TARDIS was trying desperately to lighten the spirits of its two remaining inhabitants, making sure the corridors and the console room were brightly lit. She was conscious of the wheezing of her engines and the sounds of her time rotor, as she knew just how much her Zana adored hearing them. But her Time Lord...she has not seen him this broken inside since the day they had escaped The Great Time War. He felt more alone now than ever before. The TARDIS knew, and in many ways, felt, the pain the Doctor holds in his hearts, but never like this. This pain wasn't going away anytime soon. Rose had saved his life. She had given him purpose after the extinction of his race and his world. She made him happy again. She made him smile. She made him feel like the Doctor again, and not just another soldier in the Universe's deadliest war.

"Hey, Old Girl," Zana's voice was weak, but she put on a smile as if the ancient ship could see it. Zana wasn't exactly aware of the extent of the TARDIS's telepathic abilities. If she had been, she wouldn't have gone through the trouble of faking a smile. The TARDIS could feel her emotions too. Nevertheless, she whirred in response and lit up the console in a warming manner. For a split second, her inhabitant's smile wasn't just an act. "Where is he? Is he okay?"

In response to her question, the TARDIS lit up the corridor Zana had just entered from. She knew Zana was clever, so it came as no surprise when her human friend started down the path she was making. About halfway to their destination, the Old Girl felt Zana's singular heart clench in her chest with realization. She had figured out where their Time Lord was. Her breathing became slightly more ragged as she eventually came to a stop in front of the bedroom of Rose Tyler.

"Oh, Doctor..." Zana's voice broke as she pressed her forehead against the door before her. The door slowly began to open at the TARDIS's command and the brunette quietly eased the door open at the encouragement.

~*~*~*~

There he was.

The Time Lord was fast asleep on Rose's bed, clutching a familiar purple and blue shirt in one of his hands. Zana felt a calmness go through her after seeing the peaceful look on his face, but it soon vanished as she reminded herself of the reality that awaited him when he finally woke up.

Rose's room was just as she had left it. Her clothes were scattered across her floor while various trinkets from her many adventures decorated her walls. Pictures of Jackie, Mickey, the Doctor, and even a few of Zana were taped to her vanity mirror. Zana felt herself walking up to it, quietly looking over the familiar photos before looking down and seeing her friend's makeup just as she had left it yesterday morning before going to see her mum.