The Age of Steel

Zana squeezed her eyes shut and hid her face behind the Doctor's shoulder, waiting for the inevitable...but it never came. She took a few deep breaths before looking up just in time to see the Doctor pointing some sort of device at the Cybermen, who stepped backwards before disappearing in a golden light.

"What the hell was that?" Both Ricky and Zana asked in unison, making them look at each other.

"We'll have that instead. Run!" The Doctor took off, everyone following after him.

They didn't get very far before a van sped into the driveway and a blonde woman waved everyone towards it, "Everybody, in!"

Ricky, Mickey, their friend, and the Doctor ran towards it, but Pete, Rose, and Zana stood still.

"I've got to go back. My wife's in there," Pete took off back towards the house, but the Doctor grabbed his arm.

"Anyone inside that house is dead. If you want to help, then don't let her die for nothing. You've got to come with us right now," he told Pete, who reluctantly nodded and rushed into the van.

"Come on! Get a move on!" The blonde woman who was driving the van shouted.

"Rose, she's not your mother," the Doctor told her softly.

"I know..."

"Zana, those weren't your parents, you know that."

"I know. But they were someone's parents. And now they're dead..." Zana's voice broke.

He gave her a sad look and took her hand, "Come on."

Zana took a few quick breaths, trying to ignore the stinging of her eyes as everyone piled into the van.

"Finished chatting? Never seen a slower getaway in my life!" The blonde woman shouted as she drove off.

Zana sighed and shook her head before looking up. A gasp escaped her lips at the sight before her. Looking back at her was well...her. "Oh my god."

"Are my parents dead?" Parallel Zana asked her, trying to hide the break in her voice.

"I'm sorry..." Zana informed softly. "Zana-"

"You're wearing my dress," she changed the topic instantly.

"Oh..." Zana looked down at herself. "Right. Sorry, they sort of-"

"Yeah, I know what they were like."

"Never mind that," Ricky spoke up. "What was that thing?"

"Little bit of technology from my home," the Doctor informed, holding it in his hand.

"It's stopped glowing. Has it run out?" Mickey frowned.

"It's on a revitalizing loop. It'll charge back up in about four hours."

"Right. So, we don't have a weapon anymore," Rickey huffed.

"Yeah, we've got weapons," Jake informed. "Might not be one of those metal things, but they're good enough for men like him."

Zana frowned, seeing that he was staring at Pete.

"Leave him alone," Rose shot a glare his way. "What's he done wrong?"

"Oh, you know, just laid a trap that's wiped out the Government and left Lumic in charge!"

"If I was part of all that, do you think I'd leave my wife inside?" Pete gave him a look.

"Maybe your plan went wrong," Parallel Zana spoke up. "Still gives us the right to execute you, though."

"Talk about executions, you'll make me your enemy," the Doctor glared at her. "And take some really good advice. You don't want to do that."