The Foreign Statue Pt. 2

Don't Blink.

Who knew those two words could mean the difference between life and death? Certainly not Zana.

"Alright," Zana nodded her head slowly, her fingers gripping the fabric of the Doctor's trench coat as her blue eyes bore into the statue. "What is it, Doctor?"

The Doctor inhaled deeply as he pulled his glasses off, "It's called a Weeping Angel."

"Very fitting," she murmured, looking over the stone figure in front of her. A crying angel, that's exactly what it was. "Why can't I take my eyes off it? What will it do? It's not like it can move. It's made of stone."

He reached down and took her hand, taking a step back as he did so. "They're stone only when you're looking at them, Zan. They're quantum locked, meaning that they don't exist whenever another living being is watching it. But once you look away, once you blink...they send you back in time, away from your loved ones, away from everything you've ever known."

"Why? How would they benefit from that?" She asked, desperately trying to ignore the stinging of her eyes. They had dried out, and the wind blowing in their direction wasn't exactly helping her either.

"They feed off your potential time energy," he murmured before quickly pulling her behind a building, out of sight of the statue. He instantly starting blinking, signaling Zana that it was safe. She squeezed her eyes shut, rubbing them with her palms for a moment before looking back up at the Doctor.

"Perfect place for them to hide," Zana muttered as her eyes started to water. "Ancient Rome? This place is overflowing with statues. Of course, that also makes them easy to find, yeah?"

"How would that make them easy to find?" The Doctor asked in an almost patronizing tone, making her roll her eyes.

"Because Roman statues, Doctor, are typically made of marble. Or bronze. And that...Weeping Angel, it looked nothing like either, did it?"

A smile grew on his lips, "Oh, you're brilliant!"

"I try my best," she gave him a proud smirk, pride filling her. "So how do we get rid of them? Is there a special way to kill them or something?"

"Can't kill a stone, Zana," he murmured absently as he seemed to think. "Where did they come from, that's the question. How did they get here?"

"Why does it matter how they got here?" Zana frowned slightly.

He turned on his heels, taking in the surrounding area, "Because if we find the source, it'll be easier to stop the problem."

"Well like I said, different statues, right?"

  The Doctor nodded and smiled, "Exactly."

"Why do I have the feeling that you're gonna make us meet the Emperor?" A feeling of dread filled the teen at the mere thought of having to go anywhere near the infamous Emperor. The things Caligula has done...there would be no way they'd make it out alive. But there was something...a nagging feeling that told her that the Doctor wouldn't dare get her hurt, which calmed her nerves more than she'd like to admit.

"Oh, where's your sense of adventure?" The Doctor grabbed her arm, pulling her through the crowded streets without a care in the world.

"So what do we do?" Zana asked in a last-ditch attempt to stay away from the palace. She was really dreading it.

"We go meet the emperor!"

"Great. Brilliant. For one split second, I thought your brain had started working!" She couldn't help but huff with frustration. This man was so unbelievably daft!