Doomsday

"What's down there? She was in that room with the sphere," Jackie Tyler's tone was a stark contrast from the chaos that surrounded her. She was fighting back a sob. Crying would only annoy the Doctor, and she knew that, but she couldn't help it. She had no idea if her daughter was even still breathing. "What's happened to Rose?"

"I don't know!" The Doctor's voice was filled with frustration and stress, and that was enough to send the concerned mother into tears. The Time Lord softened at the sight and pushed himself off the white wall he was leaning on, making his way towards the mother of his loyal companion. "I'll find her. I brought you here, I'll get you both out, you and your daughter. Jackie, look at me. Look at me," Jackie hesitantly met his gaze, which held all his emotions. "I promise you. I give you my word."

"You will talk to your central world authority and order global surrender," Zana closed her eyes at the metallic sound of one of the Cybermen. It was like nails against a chalkboard to her. She despised everything about those creatures, yet here she was, standing on a planet infested with them. 

"We haven't got one," Zana answered it absently as she folded her arms across her chest. Her back was to it, and her eyes were glued on the city before her. 

"You have now. I will speak on all global wavelengths," the Cyberleader shot back. "This broadcast is for humankind." The Doctor eyed the Cyberman as he pulled a pair of 3D glasses from his pocket. Jackie shot him an odd look, but he ignored it as he studied the metal men surrounding them. "Cybermen now occupy every landmass on this planet, but you need not fear. Cybermen will remove fear. Cybermen will remove sex and class and color and creed. You will become identical. You will become like us."

The broadcast was cut off, and like that, the Cyberleader moved to stand next to Zana. The teen stiffened instantly, but it failed to notice her. Its gaze was focused on the streets below them. Havoc started to break out, and before long, fires broke out and frantic people trying to escape flooded the streets, only to be greeted by the very things they were trying to flee from. Zana could make out military vehicles lining the pavement, and for a moment her thoughts flashed to her father. A feeling of dread overwhelmed her, but before it could take root, she felt a hand on her shoulder. She didn't even have to look back to know it belonged to her mother. She had joined her at the window, along with the Doctor, Jackie, and Yvonne.

"I ordered surrender," the Cyberleader's voice was full of confusion as he watched the chaos unfold before them. The Doctor and Zana looked up instantly at its words. 

"Why would you think they'd surrender?" Zana frowned, confused. Surely it didn't actually think... "Why would they do that?"

"You're on every street, you're in their homes, you've got their children!" The Doctor added, his voice sharp and angry. "Of course they're going to fight!"

The Cyberleader paid no mind to the Doctor's outburst and turned to face the other Cybermen in the room. Everything was silent for a quick moment before it spoke up, "Scans detect unknown technology active within Sphere chamber."

"Cybermen will investigate," the creatures replied in unison standing at attention.

"Units ten six-five and ten six six will investigate Sphere chamber," the leader informed.

"We obey," they nodded.

"Units, open visual link," the Cyberleader turned its attention to Yvonne's laptop, which was sitting on her desk. Seconds later, the small group was able to see what the two investigating Cybermen saw. "Visual contact established."

The Doctor looked on, his arms crossed and his face emotionless. Zana stood at his side, her eyes on the laptop as well, but the moment the other aliens came into view, the Doctor's demeanor change instantly. At first, she didn't notice his body stiffen beside her. She didn't even notice how uncharacteristically quiet he was. She did, however, notice when he reached down and took her hand into his. He held it in a vise grip as if the world was crumbling around him and she was the only thing to cling to. Zana glanced up at him, wanting to offer him an assuring smile, but his eyes were glued on the laptop.