The Satan Pit Pt. 2

"Regret to inform, sir," Jefferson's voice was airy, but overall calm as everyone kept moving as fast as they could towards the final gate. Zana's eyes were starting to sting with tears. If it hadn't have been for Toby, Zana would have definitely turned and tried to help the security guard, and who knows how that would have turned out. She might have been stuck there with him as well, and that upset her as much as Jefferson's fate did, which irked her. "I was a bit slow. Not so fast, these days."

"I can't open eight point one, John," the captain informed sadly. "Not without losing air for the others..."

"And quite right too, sir. I think I bought them a little time."

"There's nothing I can do, John," Zach's voice was just as calm as Jefferson's, but Zana could hear the tears coming. "I'm sorry."

"You've done enough, sir. Made a very good captain under the circumstances," Jefferson assured, a smile in his tone. "May I ask, if you can't add oxygen to this section, can you speed up the process of its removal?"

"I don't understand," Zach sounded confused. "What do you mean?"

"Well, if I might choose the manner of my departure, sir, lack of air seems more natural than, well, let's say death by Ood," Zana leaned her head against Rose's shoulder as her tears finally trailed down her cheeks. "I'd appreciate it, sir!"

"God speed, Mr. Jefferson," his captain's words were full of emotion.

"Thank you, sir."

Rose reached down and took Zana's hand, fighting back tears of her own. Traveling with the Doctor was worth it, perhaps, but it never became easier.

"Report Officer John Maynard Jefferson PKD deceased with honors," Zach spoke softly after a few moments. "43 K two point one."

"Zach, we're at the final junction, nine-point two," Danny was trying not to cry as well, which only broke Zana's heart more. "And uh, if my respects could be on record. He saved our lives."

Zach nodded, "Noted. Opening nine point two."

Zana honestly shouldn't have been surprised when the gate opened to reveal several Ood already waiting for them, but she definitely was. Her eyes widened and a yelp escaped her lips as she turned to escape.

"Lower nine point two!" Rose cried as they quickly started crawling in the direction they had come. "Hurry, Zach!"

"Back! Back! Back!" Danny yelled.

"We can't go back!" Toby shouted back as they came to a stop. "The gate point's sealed off. We're stuck!"

Zana looked around as if she could find a secret passageway they could escape through. She yelped again, this time not out of fear, but excitement. Of course! She looked up to see the same metal flooring that made up the base, having remembered just how they had gotten into the tunnels in the first place.

"Come on!" She exclaimed as she pushed up on the floor above them, making it fly open. "Up!"

She was the first person to climb through it, followed by a relieved Rose and Danny. They were about to take off, but Rose soon stopped them.

"What is it?" Zana asked worriedly, but Rose simply looked down the hole they had just climbed out of.

"Come on!" She called down to Toby hurriedly. "Toby, come on! Toby, get out of there!"

He looked up at her, his eyes full of feat, "Help me! Oh, my God. Help me!"

Zana reached down to grab him, fully aware of the Ood approaching from the corridor. "Come on!"