Army of Ghosts

"Zana Kline...my darling, can you hear me?"

Of course she could. That voice had taken over her very thoughts and no matter how hard she tried to fend it off, it only returned, ten times stronger. It was exhausting. It was petrifying. It was hell. But it was her life now. And it was a small price to pay for traveling in the TARDIS.

"I'm trying to sleep..." Zana answered. She knew it was pointless. They never listened. "I had the longest day. Rose and I spent hours searching for the Doctor in some sort of space version of The House of Mirrors after he had gotten himself lost. I told him carnivals were never a good idea. My parents took me to one when I was little, and it was the worst day of my life. I dropped my ice cream and my mother rediscovered her fear of clowns. I still think that Dad had the whole trip planned as a way to remind me that our family didn't do such stereotypical things. We spent the majority of our time after that at the library. Not that I minded, I suppose. I love the library. Especially the one Dad took me to. It had the most beautiful mural on its ceiling of the constellations."

"That sounds lovely, Zana," the voice sounded patronizing. Zana knew that if she were awake, she would have rolled her eyes. "It really, really does. Where was this...space carnival?"

"Oh, I don't remember. It was called Geosulas or something. I was too focused on getting out of that bloody maze. Really, who invented that? Well, obviously it's a universal thing. But it's still god awful."

"Zana, you're rambling, darling. Listen to me. Where are you?"

"Where I always am. In the TARDIS."

"Where's the TARDIS?"

"Floating through the vastness that is our reality."

"Don't get smart with me."

"I'm afraid my brain is all I've got. And even that turns on me."

"Do you really not understand, Zana? Do you not see what has been happening? Use that brain of yours. I know you can figure it out."

"Figure what out? You can't say something like that without providing context. Are you implying that I know what you are? I've spent months trying to figure it out."

"Zana...my little Zana...listen. Work it out. You spent your entire life reading and learning and staying up to date with the world...You spent hours in that little library."

"Yeah...well, it seems it was all for nothing. Next to all the things I've seen and done? I know nothing."

"Don't you dare say that, Zana Kline. You are the most brilliant person I know."

She frowned. Since when did she ever think that about herself?

"Flattery...that's never been something I've been good at," Zana murmured.

"Perhaps not, love. But I've been doting on you your entire life. Your mother and I both have."

~*~*~*~*~

Zana woke with a start. She had barely even registered what had happened before she was jumping out of bed and rushing towards the control room. How did she not know? How the hell had she not worked it out? All these months of enduring the never-ending dreams and she had failed to recognize the voice of one of the people that meant the most to her. Her father's.

"Zana!" The Doctor's voice rang out, but she didn't pay any mind to the warm welcome. She got straight to business.

"I have to go home," she spoke quickly as she pulled her jacket on over her pajamas. "Right now."

"W-what?" She missed the slight crack in his voice. "Zana, what are you talking about?"

"I have to go home, Doctor," she repeated. "I just...I have to go back. Right now."