Chapter 1

Racing past the now agitated bear, Kay knew he had to be quick. Hurrying, he gracefully ducked under the branch of a rough bare tree as he continued down the hill. Making a quick sliding turn, Kay avoided an ungodly lunge by the hostile animal. Having been running through the forest years, Kay knew this forest like the back of his cold, pale hand.

The atmosphere thickened as the chase began, a hunt that could only go two ways, victory or death. A hunt between two opponents, two of the deadliest forces in the cold forest. Either way, it didn't matter, at the end only one would survive the battle of wit and brawn. The forest filled with an anticipating silence.

And then, it began.

The bear raced forward, seething foam from its deadly jaws The bear was fierce, its muscle rippling and its sleek coat gleaming. Upon seeing this, the young man side stepped the large black bear instinctively and continued running, letting the bear hit the bark of the silver maple tree. Having left a dazed look on the bear's face from the tree, Kay lunged forward, falling on his stomach, sliding down the snow fallen forested hill.

He recklessly steered himself through the forest, barely avoiding trees, rocks and twigs as he slid through the forest. He looks back, hoping he was a good distance from the fierce animal. Seeing the bear was at a great distance, he turned his head forward, only to see the rough hard texture of a maple tree as he collided into the tough tree.

Cursing at himself, as he hurriedly got off the soft, wet ground, he gingerly touched his face, check for cut. Hissing, he felt the sharp pain when he came across a shallow cut that spread across his pale cheek.

See the bear now closing distance, Kay's hand shot for the small, wet from the snow, crossbow, taking the wooden contraption from his leather belt. Aiming at the bear's leg, stopping to load it calmly as the animal began to close the distance between them.

Come on, Kay said as he loaded the steel bolt into the crossbow.

Come on.

The bear came closer in distance.

Come on

Having the bolt loaded on, he swiftly brought to aim at the bear's leg. Pulling the trigger, the steel bolt glided through the air, pushing against the cold wind.

Crack!

The bear's wounded leg made a sickening crack, as it collapsed onto the ground, tumbling down the hill. Red crimson blood leaked from the wound, spreading across the white snow as the wounded animal began to pick up speed.

Hitting a tree just a few feet from Kay's fur moccasins with its head, the bear laid on the grainy surface of the dirt, laying the growing puddle of warm blood.

With a huff of exhaustion, Kay trudged toward the bear. Heaving, he pulled the steel hatchet from the leather latch that the wet tool hung from. And with a clenching of his teeth, he swiftly brought it up, only to bring it down with deadly speed onto the former predator's head.

The sight was gruesome, as the blood puddle grew. The fur around wounds were matted down with blood.

Taking the small iron forged knife from his shoes, Kay began to kneel down to skin the pelt of the animal.

*****************************************************************

Wrapping the fur from the now skinned bear, Kay continued to wrap it with the binding he had taken from home in the village. Putting it into the leather pack, he turned to the meat of the bear, Kay smirked.

His brother, James had made a bet with him, saying he couldn't down a bear. It was quite strange, he had to admit. What was a bear doing roaming the snow fallen forest? They should still be resting through the winter. Kay shrugged it off, it didn't matter to him, by tomorrow night and he'd have twenty extra coins in his purse!