Chapter 29: Family

Kay...

My mother should be arriving for her appointment any minute now. I look at the clock and try to get everything done so that we can go. She has no idea how much my life has changed today, and Franny still has the biggest smile on her face.

In the back office, finalizing the maternity paperwork, I hear, "She's here, Kay!"

"Please send my mom back," I reply to Fran as the excitement fills me.

As my mother comes around the corner, I stand up to meet her. This is going to be a shock, and I'd like to talk to her without a crowd.

"Hello Kaylee, how is everything going?" She asks as I hug her.

Looking at my mom, I say, "Well, it's been a very crazy day, and I have a question to ask you."

"Alright." She replies.

Having her take a seat, I ask her this question, "How would you like to blow off your appointment today and go meet your granddaughter?"

"What? Wait, what are you saying?" She asks with a smile, but also a confused expression.

Taking her hand, we sit together and I explain, "Mira had another baby... A little girl this morning, and she asked if I'd like to adopt this one too. She would be Evan's real sister."

"Oh my God in heaven! How wonderful! Yes, I would love to go meet her... Oh, Kaylee, you are truly blessed! I'm so happy for you. A little girl..." she says with tears in her eyes.

Mom hugs me tight, and I'm just so happy.

"This is a miracle, Kay! A true and real gift from God." She adds as I nod and hug her once more.

Standing up, I grab my purse and take her hand.

I ask, "So, are you ready to go?"

"Right now? You mean right this minute we are going to the hospital to meet your daughter?" She asks while this all continues to swirl around in her mind.

With a smile, I answer, "Yes, she is waiting for us."

"Oh, my Lord... Yes, let's go!" She exclaims.

As we walk to the front door, the entire office is cheering us on and my mother is completely stunned by all of them.

"Everyone knows?" She asks.

I nod and answer, "Yes, they are my second family, after all. My lawyer called me here at work and the news spread like wildfire. I was a bit enthusiastic and I believe they could hear my excitement throughout all four corners of the health center."

"Thanks, you guys!" I say and then see my boss standing by the door.

Molly adds with tears in her eyes, "Congratulations Kaylee, and enjoy the time off with your children."

Turning to this woman, I hug her and feel as she cries. They are happy tears, or maybe sad, for different choices she and her ex-husband had made years ago.

I'd like to believe they are tears of joy and that one day she will feel this bliss that I'm feeling today.

Heading to the hospital, I decided to drive because my mother seems a bit shaken by all of this excitement, which makes me happy. It seems to be taking forever, but I just can't get there quick enough.

My daughter is waiting for me... I have a daughter... This is crazy.

Mom then says, "Did you have any idea this was happening?"