Chapter 13: The Call

Kay...

Today was just another day. Nate kissed me goodbye. I crawled out of bed and got ready for work. An entire month has gone by since I stopped the fertility treatments and knowing this, I feel relieved. No longer do I need to watch my dates, temperature, and so on. There are no large purchases of medication that I needed to scrape money together for because I'm done. It was nice not having to call Kline's office to make appointments, and this feels good. Yes, I was giving up on having a baby, but we are starting a new journey. With this path, having a child would not solely be up to me and my unsystematic body.

Each morning, over these past 30 days, I could hear this tiny voice inside telling me that this is going to work. There was no doubt in my mind that Nate and I would have a child one day. No, I would not give birth, but it just didn't matter to me anymore. Honestly, I don't care how it happens. I will love any child as though it were my own. Now, all I have to do is wait and pray and hope.

Walking into work, I felt good. Sitting at my desk, I no longer had these awful feelings of dread. There were no bouts of crying or irritation. It was just me, being me. The hormones I injected into myself for years, no longer plagued me and I was back to normal. How odd, that for 8 years I never noticed how uptight I was, until now.

"Hey there, Kiki. What would you like for lunch today?" Franny asks.

Turning to my friend I reply, "Whatever you want, you shall have."

She laughs and then pulls out our bin of menus.

Dr. White walks over and says, "Where are we going to lunch today, ladies. I want in and I'll buy."

"Okay, doc, as soon as we figure that out, I will come and tell you. It's only 9:30 in the morning." I state.

He smiles and says, "Oh, I know, but after being at the hospital all night, my stomach does not realize that it's morning. Like I said, I'll buy if you fly. Just let me know where you are going."

"Okay, Dr. White, we will figure it out and I'll let you know," I reply, and he smiles.

After our morning rush, we still have not decided where to eat and I see Sue heading my way. Looking at Franny, she grabs the menus and peruses them.

Sue has a strange look on her face, so I assume Dr. White is now starving.

"Kay, can I speak with you for a moment." She asks, and this worries me.

Did I do something wrong?

I nod and say, "Of course, but is everything alright?"

"Yup, I just need to ask you something. Um, you might want to close your window." She says, yet looks rather anxious.

Standing up, I close it and follow her down the hall. She takes me into an empty office and this seems strange. I rack my brain about anything I may have done to upset her, but I can't think of a thing.

Sitting down, she continues to stand and then paces. Sue is trying to figure out a way to tell me something, and I start feeling anxious.

"Okay, I don't want to get your hopes up, but a woman just came into our office and said that she would like to give her unborn baby up for adoption," Sue says really quickly and I'm stunned.

Sue then adds, "I know, it's shocking and exciting, but there's more. She's on the phone right now, and would like to speak with you."

"Wait, what? Are you kidding me? She is on the phone now? What do I say?" I ask, as my brain races.