Chapter 21: Choices

Kay...

Sitting in the break room, Nate looks over at me and smiles. He has such dark circles, yet I've never seen my husband so excited.

It has been a crazy time, but my baby will be coming home today. These past 24 hours were so strange for me and emotional for both of us. After his birth at 3 a.m. this morning, my little Evan had to stay here at the hospital and we were sent home. Since I didn't give birth to him, there were no hospital rooms left for us to use for the night. I wish someone would have let us know this beforehand. We could have gotten a hotel room for the night. We were told to return at 8:00, this morning and Nate made sure we were not late this time.

Entering the hospital, we are sent up to the delivery floor and then told to wait in their lunchroom. This is all rather strange for us and them because normally the adoptive parents are not so involved. This is an open adoption, which means the birth mother and adoptive parents know each other, and that is why I was allowed to be in the delivery room.

Mira wanted me there, with her, and for that, I will be forever grateful to her. With this comes many uncertainties. It's not so cut and dry like going through an agency, but the perks are magical. I've held my son, and in a few moments, we are going home together.

Now, we must wait for my lawyer to arrive and for Mira to leave the hospital before all of this can occur.

"What is taking them so long? We've been here for 2 hours and no one has come in except for nurses, wanting to each their lunch. Should we talk to someone?" Nate asks as he paces back and forth.

Standing up, I walk over to hug my sweet and impatient husband. Holding him, I feel Nate tighten his grasp and know he's worried.

"I'll be right back," I say as he looks at me.

I add, "Nature is calling and I'll be back in a moment. Please don't worry, because it all takes time."

"Why are you so calm? Whatever... I'll be right here." Nate says with an exasperated look, as he takes a seat at the break room table.

With a smile, I reply, "And I'll be right down the hall. I love you."

"I love you too, now hurry up." He says with a smirk.

Stepping out the door, I walk down the hall and into the facilities. As the door opens, I basically run into Mira's mom, who was exiting the bathroom.

"Kaylee, you're here." She states, looking surprised.

I smile and reply, "Yes, they wanted us back here by 8 a.m. so that Mira could go home. But we've been stuffed in their lunchroom for the past 2 hours."

She says, "Oh, okay, I guess. Did you get any sleep?"

"Nope, not a wink," I reply with a giggle.

Then, I ask, "How is Mira doing? Is she feeling okay?"

"She's pretty upset. Mira was hoping to talk to you." Her mom states.

With a nod, I answer, "Definitely... Just give me a second and I'll be in."

She gives me a quick hug and then walks out the door. As I swiftly take care of business, my mind races. Did she change her mind?

Walking down the hall, filled with anxiety, I turn the corner and take a deep breath.

Then, as I'm about to open the patient room door, a nurse asks, "Excuse me, you cannot go in there."

"No, it's alright. I was asked to come." I reply.