Chapter 7: Training

Gerry...

Sitting here in my car, writing a note to my family and Kay. I feel dizzy, but I must get this done.

They need to know I loved them and not blame themselves. I wish my brother Scott would have said these things to me, but it looked like he ran out of time.

"What are you doing, bro?" I hear Scott say.

As I look around the garage, I don't see him.

It's just in my mind. Focus and get this note done.

"Gerry, magnificent job on the car." He says.

Again, I look around, but I'm alone in my garage.

As I continue to write and try to focus, my hand no longer works.

Seeing something standing in front of my car, this figure is fuzzy, and I can't see it clearly.

"Dude, is that you?" I ask, feeling silly.

The figure moves closer and this scares me.

Why can't I see?

Blinking my eyes, my arms don't work, and this is frightening.

I feel so sick and really tired.

"Not feeling so hot, huh? Yup, I've been there, bro." He says and then we are standing together in the garage.

Totally stunned, I shout, "What the hell? Scott, you're here... Wait a minute..."

"Yes, bro, you bit the big one. Come on Gerry, time to go." He says and I'm stunned.

Looking at the car, I see myself sitting there, and this is a terrifying sight.

I shout, "No, I can't go yet. I haven't finished."

"Well, I guess you shouldn't have killed yourself then!" He hollers, and I close my eyes.

When I open them, we are back at the house where we grew up. Mom is in the kitchen baking oatmeal cookies.

I hate those, and she knows it. Why must she always make oatmeal cookies all the fucking time?

"Because they used to be our favorite until I died," Scott says and he looks at me knowingly.

"I was eating them when you were out in the garage dying," I reply, and he nods.

Scott then says, "I wonder what Katie and Leah are eating right now?"

"Fuck you, bro!" I shout, and he glares at me.

Scott yells, "Watch it, brother, because I'm the only one you've got on your side right now. Come on, you are late for class."

"What?" I say in confusion.

Then, in a flash, we are sitting in my old homeroom at school. I'm at my old desk in the last row, and this is so weird.

"Scott, what are we doing here?" I ask.

He smiles and answers, "This is your first day of Sentinel training. Good luck!"

My brother disappears in front of my eyes, and I'm alone.

Looking down at my old wooden desk, I see the heart.

GK+KM

I carved that into this desk years ago... This is some pretty messed up shit.

"Yes, death is whacky, but you can't go back now." A man says while walking into the classroom.