Chapter 28: Baby

Gerry...

While riding in the ambulance with my daughter, the baby, and Bella, I can't help but glance back and forth between all of them. Kate is now a grown woman, who has just delivered this beautiful baby girl, and the EMT is looking for her to explain just what happened at the scene.

Honestly, I have no idea what all of this medical jargon means, but she obviously knows her stuff. How my daughter has changed from that sweet and shy girl I knew.

Kate is now a strong and independent woman, and I could not be more happy or proud to see that she made it. I've always had this guilt, that the suicide may have hindered their lives, and I pray it did not.

Kim raised them all alone. And someday, I hope to thank her for doing such an amazing job. Still, I can't get over how much they look like my wife. They have my hair color, but her eyes and luckily Kim's nose.

When the baby cries, I see Bella try to calm her and there are tears in her eyes. She tries to wrap the child up tighter and hold this innocent one close to her heart.

I think this is the first time I've ever seen this girl show real emotion. Maybe she will grow up a little now that she has 2 daughters to raise.

"When we get to the hospital, I need to call someone," Bella says.

Kate looks at her and replies, "Alright, just relax and we will be there in a few minutes."

She nods and seems to relax a bit more.

Who does Bella want to call? Maybe her father, to ask for forgiveness? Chloe to check on her? Oh, the father of the child... I wonder who that is? I hope to God it's not Brad because his nieces will be shocked by that information.

Leaning down, I whisper in her ear, "Bella, you did a great job. You have a beautiful baby girl. She is going to grow up and make you so proud."

Looking at my daughter, I smile.

"Can I have my cell phone? I need to call someone." Bella says more aggressively.

My daughter looks at her and asks, "Who do you want to call?"

"My Lawyer," Bella says matter-of-factly.

Kate then asks, "Is something wrong?"

"No, I need to call him because I'm giving this child up for adoption and he needs to call the new parents." She states.

Stunned for a moment, Kate replies, "Well, it's only 4 am and I doubt your lawyer is in the office just yet. You need to just relax and once we get you situated in a room, then they can help you with the arrangements."

"Okay... I guess you're right." She answers.

Katie looks at her and asks, "Was this already pre-planned? Do you have an agency all set up?"

"No, it's a private adoption." She states.

My sweet daughter reaches in her coat. She rubs her neck and then holds something in her hand. It's a necklace... My St. Christopher's cross! She's wearing it!

"My dad was adopted... Someday, when I find the right man, I'd like to be a foster parent and maybe adopt a child." She says to Bella.

"Oh Katie, I love you so much, and thank you for saying that to Bella," I say to her as she leans back.

There are tears in her eyes.

My brother Scott appears and says, "She's thinking of you, Gerry, and praying that this child will have a happy life."