Chapter 23: Return

Kay...

These past few months have been heaven, but now I have to go back to work. They gave me 3 months off and I've loved every second.

This is going to be hard... I have to take Evan to the sitter. She's a good person and we know her from around town, but it still sucks. I'm not ready.

"Sweetheart, do you want me to take Evan over to Laura's house? I know this is going to be hard on you." Nate says as he hugs me.

I reply, "No, I want to spend every moment possible with him. You are picking him up though, after work, right?"

"Yes, my love. I want to spend time with him too, and I'll have him all to myself." He replies with a smirk.

Hearing this, I ask, "What are you trying to say, Nathan?"

"You don't like to share, but I love you anyway." He answers and we kiss.

Hearing our son cry, Nate lets me go and runs towards the nursery.

"I got him!" He says, and I laugh.

My husband is a crazy person. I share... Mostly.

Pulling into the parking lot at the health center, I break down and cry. Since his birth, I've never been without Evan, and this is going to be a very long day.

Entering the building, I walk over to my desk and see a note on my keyboard. It's from my boss and she would like to see me in her office.

What could this be about?

Turning on my computer, I set my purse down under my desk and leave a note for Franny. She will wonder where I am and should be here any second.

Walking to her office, I see the door to the conference room open and hear, "SURPRISE!"

I'm literally shocked by everyone in the room. All the people that work here are crammed in this tiny conference room and it's wall to wall blue.

Franny says, "Welcome to your Baby Shower! We figured you'd let us have it now that Evan is home."

"You all are the best! Thank you so much. I'll admit, I was dreading leaving him at the sitter's today, but this has made it so much better. Thank you, everyone, for all you've done already for us." I state, and they all clap.

Then I'm ushered over to the chair at the head of the table. There is a pile of presents, the smell of good food is in the air, and the blue streamers and balloons fill the ceiling.

Looking around, I see Dr. White make his way over to me.

"You did well in the delivery room. A little anxious and when I asked you to cut the cord, I was a bit worried about my thumbs, but you pulled it off." He says with a big smile.

I reply, "Thank God you were there. I was starting to lose it myself. I've never been so scared in my life. We owe you a lot."

"No, you both deserve this, and we are all so happy for you. Congratulations Kaylee. I have to go see a patient, but have a good time." He says with a hug.

After opening the mountain of presents and eating all the good food, it's time to go back to work.

This was such a wonderful surprise, and I can't believe all they did for me. They are like a second family and it made my first day back, absolutely wonderful.

Molly says, "Here, this is from me. It's a gift card and if you need anything else, just let me know."

"Thank you, Molly," I reply, and she nods.