Prologue

***

Have you ever done something you regret? I don't mean saying the wrong thing or making an error. I'm talking about something you can't take back, and now eternity is forever changed. Well, then you know exactly how I feel.

***

Gerry...

Walking up to her apartment door, I check myself over to make sure I look alright. Lately, my girlfriend Kay has been acting distant towards me, and that's because I took it too far the other night. She's younger than me and dealing with a lot of issues at home, but I ignored all of that. I tried to push her, and she wasn't ready. Dating a girl who is 3 years younger sucks, but I'm in love with her.

Before I knock, the door flies open, and she shouts, "Going out with Gerry!"

"Wait, where are you going?" Her mother hollers from inside the house.

Looking at me, Kaylee says, "Come on. Let's go before she realizes I'm already gone."

Nodding at her, I follow Kay to my Bronco 4X4 and she hops inside. Something must have happened because she looks pissed off.

I bet it was that step-father of hers, the crazy bastard.

Starting my vehicle, her mother steps onto the porch.

"Gun-it Gerry! I have to get out of here!" She cries in a panic.

Looking at the furious Mrs. Masters or whatever her name is now, I shake my head but do as Kay hollers.

"Christ, those two are nuts, and I had to get away from them. Thank you for picking me up." She says and then sides over next to me.

Putting my arm around her, we drive down the road and away from the chaos, she lives with daily.

Looking in the backseat, Kay asks, "Are we going fishing?"

"Yup, that's the plan," I reply.

She smiles and snuggles up to me again. Kaylee's hand slides up my leg, and I kiss her head.

Whenever she's upset, Kay gets nervous and looks for a way out of her nightmare. That is not happening today, and we are going to have a calm and quiet afternoon together.

"Don't start something you can't finish, baby," I say and then regret it instantly.

Taking her hand away, she slides back over to the other side of the truck and stares out the window.

Great, now she's mad at me. If this girl only knew how much I want her. When Kay does this, I want more, but she's not ready for the next step.

The Bronco bucks us all over the place as we drive down the bumpy trail and I see her smile. She holds onto the Oh Shit handle as I put the pedal to the floor and hear her laugh.

God, how I love that sound.

"... Said, woman, take it slow and it'll work itself out fine. All we need is just a little patience." I sing, and she glares at me.

Stopping at the water's edge, she opens the door and slides out, grabbing a pole, while I gather everything else up. Kay comes around the truck and takes a bucket and some worms. Leaning in, she kisses my nose and then smirks.

Turning around, she states, "Whoever catches the bigger fish will get one wish. What do you say, hot stuff?"

I nod and just watch this little sprite dance through the trees, making her way over to the river. She knows I like to fish the lake, but I'll give in to her today.

Continuing down the path, I follow Kay until she finds the perfect spot for our day in the sun. Setting everything down, she looks at me and winks.

Christ, I love her.

After fishing for a while and not catching anything, I look over and Kaylee is lying on the blanket. I want to go to her, but I'd better not.

She is in a mood and I don't want our first time to be like this. Kay's mad about something, and I'd better ask what is going on.

I start with, "So, your mom looked pretty upset. What happened?"

"Really, do you honestly want to know about the crazies?" She asks and then rolls over to face me.

Looking down at Kay, I then glance over to the lake because she's killing me.

Her top is low cut and I can almost see her breasts. Don't do it, Gerry.

If she were older, I never think twice, but she's only 15.

Fuck, this sucks. The things I would do to her... For her... With her...

"Um, what is that look all about? You are acting weird lately." She says while standing up and walking over to me.

Kay wraps her arms around my waist, and I look into her green eyes. There is a storm brewing in there. I can see it, and she's about ready to blow.

Rubbing her body against mine, we kiss, and I pick her up. Leaning against the big maple tree, she wraps her legs around me, and I can feel my jeans are ready to burst.

What harm would it do? It's not like I wouldn't marry her in a second.

Leaning back, Kay says, "Whoa, big boy, you're getting a little intense."

"Well, baby, you are driving me nuts. I'm horny as fuck and you are toying with me." I shout.

Realizing what just came flying out of my mouth, I back away and she smirks. Coming towards me again, I look at the ground and she lifts my chin.

Kay whispers, "I care for you, I do, but it's not the right time. Gerry, I want to do it, but..."

"Stop, just quit it, Kaylee, and let's go get something to eat," I say as she sits down on the blanket again.

Waving me over, I join her and lay my head in her lap. As she runs her fingers through my hair, I close my eyes and breathe.

She whispers, "Gerry, I do care for you. We've known each other forever, but I'm only 15 years old. Maybe we should see other people. It's not fair..."

"NO! I'm fine, and we'll wait. What happened today? Why did you call me in a panic?" I ask as she leans back against the tree.

Kay then says, "You know... You are so lucky that you're adopted, and not blood-related to anyone. You were chosen, while I was a mistake. She never lets me forget it, you know? Like it was my fault I was born. She married the wacko and now it's so much worse and I hate my life. Honestly, I think they are trying to drive me crazy. Look at me, I'm completely fucked up and trapped in that apartment with the newlyweds. You would not believe the things he says to me."

"What does he say?" I ask, and she shakes her head no.

Getting up, Kay says, "Let's go eat... Pizza or burgers?"

"Pizza," I reply.

Walking to the truck, she asks, "What was your wish?"

"I'll tell you later," I reply.

Then, I ask, "What was yours?"

"For us to have just one day of complete happiness. I'm talking about total bliss, without a care in the world." Kay answers as she climbs up into the Bronco.

That's a great wish...